Hey car audio guys I need ideas

Cordell

So as far as actual suggestions on how I would build an extended cab truck.

Headunit: I prefer pioneer but alpine. Pioneer has a decent double din with a 5.3" touch screen. Has iPod and auxiliary inputs.

Door speaker's: for truly the best sound you could fiberglass your a piliars with a component set. Or any nice coaxial speaker in factory locations will still sound better than stock.

Amps: I would definitely put a 4 channel on the speakers. (This is still what I need to do on my truck.)

Subs: anything with a low qts motor would be my choice. Better options for ported alignments. If you prefer seamed a woofer with a higher qts is sufficient.

Sub amp: you get what you pay for.

Overall its all your preference with brands.

90% install 10% equipment.

So as far as actual suggestions on how I would build an extended cab truck.

Headunit: I prefer pioneer but alpine. Pioneer has a decent double din with a 5.3" touch screen. Has iPod and auxiliary inputs.

Door speaker's: for truly the best sound you could fiberglass your a piliars with a component set. Or any nice coaxial speaker in factory locations will still sound better than stock.

Amps: I would definitely put a 4 channel on the speakers. (This is still what I need to do on my truck.)

Subs: anything with a low qts motor would be my choice. Better options for ported alignments. If you prefer seamed a woofer with a higher qts is sufficient.

Sub amp: you get what you pay for.

Overall its all your preference with brands.

90% install 10% equipment.

Whats a qts motor?

How well would bass work under my back seat as opposed to removing the seat and building something bigger? I'd like to keep the back seat and hide most of it, but on the other hand I want loud. I certainly don't need near the bass that I experienced in your truck, but you'll remember I didn't flinch when I sat in it either. I like loud music, louder then your average person. Highs I'm fine with, I'll prabably blow any mids-highs up anyway, I've had to replace the speakers in every one of my cars, even the nicer Pioneer speakers I've had. The speakers I put in the Camaro are shit now too, I don't even listen to them anymore.

Let me put it like this, when I spend money on something I use the shit out of it. Why's my Camaro always broke? because I beat on it constantly. Why was the last system I had rebuilt a few times in the 2 years I had it? mostly because it was cranked to the max every day I drove the truck, and this was with the nicest shit Best Buy sold 11-12 years ago.

So what would it take to have speakers amped up and cranked, and actually have them last?

You can achieve a more bass from removing the back seats and having a custom box setup done, however it's truly amazing how much sound you do get from the under seat boxes. Normally I advise as Josh did to avoid prefab boxes but the down firing boxes that are made for your truck really slam for what they are and the advantage of not losing any space or seating in the truck. The down firing boxes for your truck are nice as well because since they are down firing you really don't need sound deadening around them and they won't get kicked by rear passengers since they're under the seat firing down. The rest ofmthe install would be the same whether you use a custom box or the prefab in this case. You could have all of it done with the prefab box and if you're not happy with the sound you could then have Josh build you a nice box. He is dead on about the sub info he gave you. The only thing I would change about what he said is that I would absolutely use nothing other than a component set up front. You will get more volume and a much better sound from components than most any coaxs can give you. You will need a pretty shallow sub if you go with the underseat configuration. I'd recommend the Rockford p3 shallow series subs for that setup. They play plenty loud and will handle quite a bit of abuse and power. They also play well in sealed or porter enclosures although they will get louder in a ported box. It would be very very difficult but if josh could build a ported box similar to the prefab sealed boxes that fit under the rear seats in your truck it would be absolutely incredible. If he's going to do your sub setup id be more than happy to work with him and do the front end of the system at the same time. In the front of the newer trucks like yours there's really no need to build very much custom unless you really want something insanely loud. I do agree as well with him that a pioneer double din touchscreen head unit is the way to go and they fit perfectly in your year of truck. I really hope I can help with this system setup and install. I'd really like to see a nice box from Josh. When guys know how to manipulate subwoofers with trick boxes the results can be amazing!

Qts is the total q or compliance of the motor. This is a combined formula of qms (mechanic compliance) and qes (electrical compliance).

Low qts subwoofer using have a strong magnet structure. They like ported alignments and larger boxes.

High qts subs like sealed or 4th order bandpass. Smaller.boxes.

To have something overbuilt to handle extreme conditions its going to take alot of speakers and power. Alot of people running large setups like mine are using pro audio woofers. Generally a 8-10" mid and a buillet tweeter. You can run less speakers this way and still be very loud. For the average person sound is ok, but for audiophiles sound quality is sub par.

If your wanting decent bass you gonna need to ditch the seat.

4 8's sealed or 2 8's Porter could fit under the rear seat but if you can deal with my truck you wont be satisified.

My questions for you...

What type of music will the system mostly be playing?

Any certain level of loud your goal is?

You can achieve a more bass from removing the back seats and having a custom box setup done, however it's truly amazing how much sound you do get from the under seat boxes. Normally I advise as Josh did to avoid prefab boxes but the down firing boxes that are made for your truck really slam for what they are and the advantage of not losing any space or seating in the truck. The down firing boxes for your truck are nice as well because since they are down firing you really don't need sound deadening around them and they won't get kicked by rear passengers since they're under the seat firing down. The rest ofmthe install would be the same whether you use a custom box or the prefab in this case. You could have all of it done with the prefab box and if you're not happy with the sound you could then have Josh build you a nice box. He is dead on about the sub info he gave you. The only thing I would change about what he said is that I would absolutely use nothing other than a component set up front. You will get more volume and a much better sound from components than most any coaxs can give you. You will need a pretty shallow sub if you go with the underseat configuration. I'd recommend the Rockford p3 shallow series subs for that setup. They play plenty loud and will handle quite a bit of abuse and power. They also play well in sealed or porter enclosures although they will get louder in a ported box. It would be very very difficult but if josh could build a ported box similar to the prefab sealed boxes that fit under the rear seats in your truck it would be absolutely incredible. If he's going to do your sub setup id be more than happy to work with him and do the front end of the system at the same time. In the front of the newer trucks like yours there's really no need to build very much custom unless you really want something insanely loud. I do agree as well with him that a pioneer double din touchscreen head unit is the way to go and they fit perfectly in your year of truck. I really hope I can help with this system setup and install. I'd really like to see a nice box from Josh. When guys know how to manipulate subwoofers with trick boxes the results can be amazing!

Here is a box that Josh built for me. Had amazing sound quality and got very loud for being 8s (145db). Dyno Brian now has this box so it'll be interesting to see what he does with it.

My questions for you...

What type of music will the system mostly be playing?

Any certain level of loud your goal is?

My music varies from most rock, a little rap, but most of the music I like has a broad range of sound. When I have some powered subs at my disposal I do like the few old school bass CDs I have.

I doubt you guys will like this but its music I'm into, I'd want my mids and highs to play this well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4oOG4vmqBg

Still wish I had video of Brian's dad in the truck. Lol

That was hilarious, but I sure would've felt bad if he had a heart attack.

As for actual sound level, I don't know how to describe what I want. Lets say I crank up my stock system and I have to turn the bass down to keep it from distorting, lets just say double that without the distortion.

If your looking for musical clarity spend some time paying attention to your component speakers and not the woofers. You can get some very loud bass from a very minimal amount of subs in a well made box. Like said before, STAY AWAY FROM PRE FAB boxes.

If I was doing a truck I wouldn't have anything more than two 10's in the back in a ported box if you're looking for something that won't take all the attention away from the actual music.