Carmax?

schmuckingham

A few years ago we were looking for a car for my mother inlaw. Found a car we were interested in. Didn't even drive it yet. I asked the sales lady lets look up what the payments would be. Pissed around for 1/2 hour. Then she comes back and says the payment. We're like.. eh.. not bad. Then the sales manager lady comes over and says "congratulations on your new purchase".. I'm like woah lady, we didn't buy shit. We just wanted to know the monthly payment. Hell, we didn't even start the car or even drive it.

We left :).

highest retail price charger on every vehicle.

A few years ago we were looking for a car for my mother inlaw. Found a car we were interested in. Didn't even drive it yet. I asked the sales lady lets look up what the payments would be. Pissed around for 1/2 hour. Then she comes back and says the payment. We're like.. eh.. not bad. Then the sales manager lady comes over and says "congratulations on your new purchase".. I'm like woah lady, we didn't buy shit. We just wanted to know the monthly payment. Hell, we didn't even start the car or even drive it.

We left :).

So A+ then, sounds groovy so far.

I got my Element through them. The price I got was pretty much right on what the market was demanding at the time. Sales people were good, and I had no issues.

This was a few years ago and maybe things have changed. It might depend on the car you are getting but compare their prices to others around.

They were also really good with any issues I had with the car.

They give great prices for used cars that you sell to them imo. In winter 2007/2008 I sold a 2004 Matrix base manual w/ 60k on it to them for $10,000 outright. Considering I had bought it 3 years prior w/ 20k on it for $13,000 from a local dealer, I thought it was a strong offer, plus I hadn't been getting any interest privately or through other dealers since I didn't want to buy another car.

Depends on the car Buck, if there is a big market for used car like a Used BMW they give more fair money. They were most likely going to send your car to auction so they don't give as much $$ for auction cars.

I know. I just don't like dealers and the fact that I could get the same car for thousands less and get a private loan through a credit union for a lot less interest rate if i did the legwork myself.

Trade in values are by what they refer to as "Black Book", meaning they will give you what they would buy from another lot for or auction price. Like stated before, if it's a high demand car, you'll get more. Obviously they're not gonna give you private party value. They have to make money on it too. And unless they are getting your car as a trade in you're likely not to get as much either. But that's all lots.

Also when a car hits the lot it's had any major service needed performed. If it needs paint, they paint it, all cars get brake jobs, tires, and actual detailing, oil changes, etc. Do you pay more? Yes. Is it worth it? IMO yes. It's not a hole in the wall lot that just hoses a car off hit it with some Armor All and calls it good. I was a skeptic for a long time, then my company got them as a customer for services that we provide. Got the tour, and how/what they do for take in processes. Good stuff.

You can't have the car inspected by another shop before you buy.

If you buy it and it has a melt down they will return your money within like 2-3 days or something, but you have to spend that money they give back to you on another car on their lot.

Way over priced from what I have seen. We looked at an IS300 that was just ridiculous.

With that being said, we have some customers that have purchased vehicles through carmax and from what we have seen they are pretty nice cars for the most part.

What I liked about the place is they have so many different models to look at I went there one day with 3 car seats and test fit every car I liked or considered and then test drove them (was there for about 2 hours). Made it nice to be able to look at every car I was interested in without having to look elsewhere. Didn't buy from them but for looking and comparing used cars its the first place I would go.

I went there once when I was shopping for a truck in 2009. Test drove a nice looking black 07 Ram Quad Cab, 4x4 that had like 17K miles. After the test drive, I popped the hood and the fire blanket on the hood and firewall was melted. Engine looked good, but that worried me.

Ended up going down the road to a Dodge dealership and got my brand new 09 Ram Crew Cab, 4x4, HEMI, with 17 miles, and life time warranty on the engine and drivetrain for only $3K more than what Carmax wanted for that 07. So I agree, it seems their prices are on the high end of what the vehicle is worth.

I have never seen a dealership that didnt inflate their prices to take advantage of the people that are willing to pay sticker. The one car I almost got from them they were willing to drop $3k off the price. I did my sleep on it thing like I always do and found the same car with less miles. Paid a little more but it was worth it. I say stop by and see what you can squeeze out of them.

Carmax will always offer shit on older, high mileage cars. For every sucker that accepts their offer they probably deal with some rough pile of crap that they have to absorb a huge loss on.

On newer, low mileage vehicles I've seen most people get very fair offers given market conditions.

Also, I don't believe ANYONE on this board when they say they were insulted by the offer on their trade. No offense guys, but car guys ALWAYS expect way too much for their trade, thinking "well I always did my oil changes myself with synthetic" should = $2000 more on their 10 year old car.

Carmax will always offer shit on older, high mileage cars. For every sucker that accepts their offer they probably deal with some rough pile of crap that they have to absorb a huge loss on.

On newer, low mileage vehicles I've seen most people get very fair offers given market conditions.

Also, I don't believe ANYONE on this board when they say they were insulted by the offer on their trade. No offense guys, but car guys ALWAYS expect way too much for their trade, thinking "well I always did my oil changes myself with synthetic" should = $2000 more on their 10 year old car.

this right here.