computer people.

351mach11647545510

Trying to connect to the internet through my wireless card via a POS att 2wire router/modem. I for the life of me cant get it to work. I can connect to the router but with only local access. I cannot figure this out for the life of me. I've checked every setting on both ends and am stuck.

Wireless router and card in laptop ? Shut down the modem, shut down the router/unplug it and shut down the computer. Wait 30 seconds. Turn on modem, wait for the lights to flash. Turn on router/power it up. Then reboot computer. Check available networks to see if yours pops up.

*Customer service*

Is the modem pluged in?

Is the Router pluged in?

Is the cable/internet line connected to the modem?

Is the router connected to the modem?

Did you try a 'reset'? Unplug them both for like 30 seconds and plug modem in, let it boot up, then plug router in.

Other than that and messing with your laptop or whatever's network settings I have no other advice. Good luck.

Last step, delete the network adapter from device manager and reboot machine. or try this.

start->run>cmd> ipconfig /release> ipconfig /flushdns> ipconfig /renew >ipconfig /all

See if your ipv4 network picks up an ip address. If it does but still wont connect, could be IE setting or a virus.

entered the network key like 20 times and even set it to custom passkey. no luck

Have you completely reset the router?

Start by just connecting your PC directly to the modem really. If the modem is working and your PC is good then it should see the network directly without issue.

WOW has great support here; not sure about AT&T for you though.

the comp. im on now is hooked directly to the modem. I have fully reset the modem/router. I really don't want to bring that computer down and unhook everything just to try it. I used the computer right before i moved it without issue but haven't used the wireless in like a year.

The wireless routers nowadays are super flaky. They can die randomly. That could be the case with yours. To be honest, i think its a setting. Wish i could remote into it

Ok. Try deleting the network adapter from device manager real quick. See what happens. That will remove any residual bad network settings the computer has. Also reset IE back to defaults.

the comp. im on now is hooked directly to the modem. I have fully reset the modem/router. I really don't want to bring that computer down and unhook everything just to try it. I used the computer right before i moved it without issue but haven't used the wireless in like a year.

Who is your ISP? If you PC is directly connected to your modem, the ISP is going to use the mac address of your computer to authenticate (I believe this is how it still works) if you then connect your router to the modem, it's not going to work (This literally just happened to me last week). Hook everything up the way it should be (Reset modem/router by reset buttons or unplugging, let sit for maybe 15-30 minutes) modem->router->pc used a cat5 if wireless isn't working. If you are getting an IP address ping the router (default gateway address). Also, be sure the modem is connected to the WAN port on the router.

Just a couple things to try, again I had the exact same issue. My problem, modem wasn't connected to WAN port on router (cheap $20 microcenter pos) (dark lit room :p), one of the network ports on one of the PCs was bad, and the ISP had authenticated the wrong mac address (which was my laptop) So I was able to get on the internet via my laptop connected via cat5 but nothing else could.

The att 2wires are 1 unit, the modem and router are 1 piece of hardware. Unless you put it into bridge mode it will function as router & modem. In bridge mode it only functions as a modem and allows you to hookup an external router.

Have you tried another machine or laptop with the modem to see if they can connect to the internets? This would tell if you if its a problem with your modem or if its isolated to your machine. If you think your modem is fine you could try setting up static addresses to see if that works.

The ISP should only need the mac of the modem. It shouldn't have anything to do with the mac of the machine.

The att 2wires are 1 unit, the modem and router are 1 piece of hardware. Unless you put it into bridge mode it will function as router & modem. In bridge mode it only functions as a modem and allows you to hookup an external router.

Ah, indeed I fail at reading the OP

modem is fine. computer is fine if hooked directly via ethernet cable. Modem reads computer wirelessly and vica versa. just wont let me on the internet wirelessly. removed all security settings on modem/router. cant get it. att just got done screwing with it through remote access. tellin me my wireless card must be screwed up. I guess ill just have to spend $15 or whatever and get a new card to try.