Collector plates questions...

OneSlow04GEETEE

Going to be applying to get them for my car. Am I still able to get them even though the car is still being paid for? I have receipts for over $6k in mods, so that should be enough, right? If not I can get more. Also, do I NEED to send pictures in? Friends are telling me it's a good idea to. I take it it's just less of a hassle to get the plates if you send pics in with the receipts?

Also asks for the deputy registrar name and number, with certification of title inspected by whoever. Not sure what I put there? Any help will be appreciated guys.

Edited by OneSlow04GEETEE

In an effort to ensure that all vehicles registered as collector vehicles are truly collectible, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles references the National Automobile Dealers Association and The Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930-1990 (Consumer Guide) to determine vehicles that are true collector vehicles. Although we recognize that a vehicle may be unique because of time, energy and investment expended by the owner, these publications are used in determining eligibility for collector’s license plates. Due to a administrative ruling, vehicle models not listed in the above publications may be considered collector vehicles if the applicant obtains documentation from the manufacturer that the vehicle was in limited production, is in demand as a collectible vehicle at the time of application or a sizable investment can be proven.

No, a $6K investment is not enough.

No, a $6K investment is not enough.

Well I have receipts up to $10k. And $5k is all you need. Friend with a Civic just got them last year and he had a little over 5 in receipts.

So any 2011 car with the same amount of money in mods would be considered a collector plate candidate as well?

Yup. Or could be a limited production car of some sort. Just need a way to prove it I.E receipts and pictures.

I'm suprised there's not more answers from anyone since you guys are in Columbus :)

You have to have some kind of proof that your car was a limited production run. I got mine since GM only made a few thousand SS in 2001 and only around 1200 in the color of my car.

When I got mine, they photo copied EVERYTHING I had.

mine is car #28 of 128 made in 2007.

The red appearance package was the final run of the 2007's. Some being white and some being Black. They were going to make a combined total of 500 but only made 325. 128white/197black

What is the benefit to having collector plates? Because you don't have to renew them every year? Anything else?

mine is car #28 of 128 made in 2007.

The red appearance package was the final run of the 2007's. Some being white and some being Black. They were going to make a combined total of 500 but only made 325. 128white/197black

What is the benefit to having collector plates? Because you don't have to renew them every year? Anything else?

You have to renew them every year like regular plates, just you don't have to get an E-check ever again.

The car doesn't HAVE to be a limited production car, like I said with my friend's Civic. He has a lot of money in it and has collectors for it. I asked these questions on clevelandracing also, and they said you need $3500 in receipts for work done by yourself, or $5000 in receipts if done by a shop.

http://publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/bmv4803.pdf

QUALIFICATIONS FOR COLLECTOR’S PLATES AND APPLICATION

“Collector’s Vehicle” means any motor vehicle or agricultural tractor or traction engine of special interest having a fair market value of one hundred dollars or more, whether operable or not, that is owned, operated, collected, preserved, restored, maintained or used essentially as a collector’s item, leisure pursuit or investment, but not as the owner’s principal means of transportation.

Due to passage of supplementary legislation, additional criteria is required for the issuance of collector’s license plates. To ensure that all vehicles registered as collector vehicles are truly collectible, we now reference the National Automobile Dealers Association Classic, Collectible and Special Interest Car Appraisal Guide. If the vehicle is not listed in this guide, we do have other comparable publications that are similarly authoritative and include the 4th Edition Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975 (Krause Publications) or The New Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930-1990 (Consumer Guide). Vehicle models not listed in these publications may be considered collector vehicles if the applicant obtains documentation from the manufacturer that the vehicle was in limited production or is in demand as a collectible vehicle at the time of application. To ensure every opportunity is afforded for the applicant to be granted collector’s license plates, additional consideration will be granted to applicants providing photographs to substantiate vehicle collectibility.

found a discussion about it here, too

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/midwestern-members/1321157-any-ohio-guys-have-collector-plates-fbody-2.html

Found this while looking up the rules about collector plates....

Specialty Plates

Special Plates are license plates manufactured especially for the customer. Some have initials or personal messages. Many have logos which require special handling to produce. Logo plates are for customers who wish to support a particular college, military organization, environmental or other special interest group.

Requests for special plates can be made at any Deputy Registrar's office. Many Special Interest, Disability, Amateur Radio, Military and Collegiate Plates are also available at the Deputy Registrar. All other special plates may be paid for at a Deputy Registrar's office and will then be mailed to the customer. If necessary, the deputy can give the customer a permit which will allow them to operate their vehicle while the plates are being manufactured.

Does anyone know if this means you can make your own logo (within reason) and have it put on your plate? Under special interest group? Maybe a car club or forum logo?