Moving Across The Country...

Main3s

I’m looking for some helpful tips or maybe some unforeseen problems that may pop up when moving across the country (or state). I’ll be moving to Phoenix AZ in July. I’ve lived in Columbus most of my adult life and have only moved 1 time since moving out of my moms house when I was 17.

I know to rent a U-Haul and pack shit in boxes :p But what are some things to keep in mind when moving that far? I’m in the process of making some minor home improvements so that I can rent my house in Columbus out. I’m going through all of my old belongings and sorting out the things I want to keep, trash or sell so that I don’t have to haul them all out there.

As unprepared as it may sound (at this point anyway) I don’t have a job lined up (my biggest concern). And I’ve been scouting out houses to rent online. It all seems pretty overwhelming right now just because its such an uncertainty. I’m moving for personal reasons, but the biggest reason is to be closer to my child.

Again, I’ve never done this before and have no clue what to expect. So if CR has any helpful advice that could save me some time, money or a major headache down the road I’d love to hear it. TIA

Well keeping a job in mind maybe rent a small apartment first? Cheaper the better you don't not want to move and have trouble finding a job then go into financial problems. Have you looked into moving options as in having people move stuff for you. Because a uhaul for that many miles and that long will not be cheap either exactly...

Well keeping a job in mind maybe rent a small apartment first? Cheaper the better you don't not want to move and have trouble finding a job then go into financial problems. Have you looked into moving options as in having people move stuff for you. Because a uhaul for that many miles and that long will not be cheap either exactly...

Im in the process of moving to california (90 more days) even tho I lived there before, Ive gone back 3 times to check housing. I know places in california you see online look great in the pictures, and they are dead center in the hood, and look nothing like the pic's. The job thing was haunting me too, I was holding out the move until I had a job lined up. The uhaul should run you around 1200-1500 bucks depending on size, then add fuel and hotels.

i moved from columbus to tampa, and then tampa to wisconsin, within the course of 14 months. some tips from my experience (i did it all myself)

use a bigger uhaul then you think you'll need.

trash/sell as much as you can before you move

don't trailer a car behind the uhaul--just get it shipped cheap $600-700. you'll spend money on the trailer and gas, and its such a pain in the ass to stop for gas, trailer-sway is horrible, etc. etc. trust me on this one, its worth it to get the car(s) shipped

take plenty of cash--the last thing you want is to be stuck at a gas station in bumfuck nowhere and have your credit card shut down because of suspicious charges---bring at least $1500 for gas/etc.

have someone with you to help drive if possible

don't drive through the night--stop when it gets dark

Im in the process of moving to california (90 more days) even tho I lived there before, Ive gone back 3 times to check housing. I know places in california you see online look great in the pictures, and they are dead center in the hood, and look nothing like the pic's. The job thing was haunting me too, I was holding out the move until I had a job lined up. The uhaul should run you around 1200-1500 bucks depending on size, then add fuel and hotels.

Thanks! I'm actually going to be out there in a few weeks. My goal is to get a few places lined up to check out in person. Did you have a hard time finding a place to move? Any good sites to brows?

i moved from columbus to tampa, and then tampa to wisconsin, within the course of 14 months. some tips from my experience (i did it all myself)

don't trailer a car behind the uhaul--just get it shipped cheap $600-700. you'll spend money on the trailer and gas, and its such a pain in the ass to stop for gas, trailer-sway is horrible, etc. etc. trust me on this one, its worth it to get the car(s) shipped

take plenty of cash--the last thing you want is to be stuck at a gas station in bumfuck nowhere and have your credit card shut down because of suspicious charges---bring at least $1500 for gas/etc.

This...get rid of all the shit you can replace easy.

+

:thumbup::thumbup::cool::cool: Thank you! Great advice!!!

Thanks! I'm actually going to be out there in a few weeks. My goal is to get a few places lined up to check out in person. Did you have a hard time finding a place to move? Any good sites to brows?

What I did was similar to you, I went to all normal rent.net places like that and made a list of what fit. When I went out to see in person, I picked up alot of the local rent books like you would see here at krogers for free. I still have lots of family and friends that live there so every week, they would send the books to me. Its really not hard soon as you get to see everything in person. Im so glad we did not jump on anything without checking it out in person.

You may want to check into having someone move all of your stuff for you. I know a few people that saved money doing that than a u-haul. The problem with U-haul is the charge per mile. It adds up fast. We sold everything and jumped on a plane here. Saved us cash shipping and gave us extra money when we got here as a back up.

You may want to check into having someone move all of your stuff for you. I know a few people that saved money doing that than a u-haul. The problem with U-haul is the charge per mile. It adds up fast. We sold everything and jumped on a plane here. Saved us cash shipping and gave us extra money when we got here as a back up.

I think they only charge by the mile for local moves, doing cross country its a flate rate on how many days. You pick up and point A and drop off at point B and have certain amount of days, thats how it was for us last time.

I just moved to Dallas myself and have to say getting rid of crap is the best thing for ya. Bring the most important stuff you can think of and take it with you. As far as job markets and what not, if you can stash away a little bit before you leave. Always nice to not have to rush into anything. I spent a month in Dallas before I even moved down. Take a little time to get to know the area, since you are moving halfway across the US, you should somewhat enjoy it. Like Kirk said, bring cash. Out west you'll be stuck in BFE pretty quick.

I say you need to line up a paycheck first.....but that's just me. Not sure what connections you have but Chase has a nice facility out there. A buddy of mine knew some folks here in Cbus that connected his wife up out west. Once she had a job there they moved. He transferred with his company.

Job = cash = a lot less anxiety in life.

i documented each of my moving experiences here---good reads

columbus to tampa

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52255&highlight=move

tampa to wisconsin

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69995&highlight=move

within one year of living in wisconsin (we were renting), we bought a house locally, and moved----again

I just moved to Dallas myself and have to say getting rid of crap is the best thing for ya. Bring the most important stuff you can think of and take it with you. As far as job markets and what not, if you can stash away a little bit before you leave. Always nice to not have to rush into anything. I spent a month in Dallas before I even moved down. Take a little time to get to know the area, since you are moving halfway across the US, you should somewhat enjoy it. Like Kirk said, bring cash. Out west you'll be stuck in BFE pretty quick.

I say you need to line up a paycheck first.....but that's just me. Not sure what connections you have but Chase has a nice facility out there. A buddy of mine knew some folks here in Cbus that connected his wife up out west. Once she had a job there they moved. He transferred with his company.

Job = cash = a lot less anxiety in life.

As for the money, I'll be leaving my current job with 4 full weeks of pay in addition to whatever I save between now and July. But my goal is to definitely have work lined up. I'd love to have a week or so to enjoy/ take everything in.

i documented each of my moving experiences here---good reads

columbus to tampa

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52255&highlight=move

tampa to wisconsin

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69995&highlight=move

within one year of living in wisconsin (we were renting), we bought a house locally, and moved----again

:lol: So you know a few things about moving huh. I'll probably end up moving within the first year or 2 once I'm out there.

What brings you out to Phoenix? I used to live out there for school. Its wayy to hot! You'll eventually hate it and be back here lol. Good luck to you!

My child is out in AZ and rather then just be a pay check to him from Columbus, I decided to go help raise him instead ;)

Send me some pics/info dude.

How cheap? I need a good MPG DD

I'd like to get at least $2,500 out of it. I'll more then likely be letting it go before I move so I'll be sure to post some pics and info.

I'd like to get at least $2,500 out of it. I'll more then likely be letting it go before I move so I'll be sure to post some pics and info.

LETTUCE HAVE! I've been looking for a GTP for months and cant find a decent one.