Diagnose this POS for me..

ZYUL8TR

...2001 Olds Aurora with V8

Key in ignition. Wont start.

Leave key in ignition, get the following:

Can see CEL go dim, relays start clicking, get theft deterent system fault. Can hear starter clicking for a few clicks, then nothing.

Codes:

P0601 Internal Control Module memory check sum error

P0335 Crankshaft Position sensor A circuit

P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Bank 1 or single sensor

P0385 Crankshaft Position Sensor B Circuit

These codes keep reccuring after I reset them.

Help!

DTC P0601 indicates that the contents of the EEPROM have changed since the PCM was programmed. The PCM must be replaced. Remember to program the replacement PCM with the correct software and calibration for the vehicle.

This is where you should start. You'd be better off taking that to the dealer. I've done this stuff at work all the time, and don't take this the wrong way but those cars are horrible and I don't want to work on it.

when researching a crank sensor on the v6 i found multiple v8 guys that replaced crank and cam sensors and did the relearn process and it fixed the issue, type it into google, you'll find results

So you had the P0601 also?

Ignition system DTCs set with the ignition in the START position if the starter relay or the starter is inoperative. When the PCM enables starter operation, the PCM also initiates the diagnostic test routines for DTCs P0335, P0340, and P0385. The PCM will not receive signal input from the CKP and CMP sensors if a condition exists which prevents the engine from cranking. When this occurs, the DTCs will set.

So these codes mean nothing, you have an issue with the PCM, and possibly the theft system. Have you tried jumping the starter relay with the key on?

Edited by Cordell

LOL! I am alive.

I have not tried jumping the relays; however, now when I reset the codes I only get the crank and camshaft sensor errors. The information center on dash reads the "theft" error. I am not getting the P0601 code currently.

...and yes, this Olds is a POS.

This may sound really stupid, but is the battery charged/healthy? Since it wasn't stated otherwise and would be the first thing I would check???

This is a good point, I don't really think of this stuff just talking about it, wouldn't hurt to try jumping it.

This may sound really stupid, but is the battery charged/healthy? Since it wasn't stated otherwise and would be the first thing I would check???

Yes. I also tried swapping batteries from my Vette. Still no.

Today I purchased the passkey theft module, lock cylinder, and new key. When I do the re-learn, I will know if that works...or not.

• 2 weeks later...