Termites

Xyster101

Looking at buying a foreclosure with a small amount of termite damage. Well I can't tell how much there really is since I don't own the house and can't cut holes in it. About 4' of a sill plate and the header joist are damaged in the basement. The sub-pump was not plumbed correctly and was/is keeping that wood moist.

Anyone have recommendations for a good exterminator. Looking to have an estimate done and opinion before we move forward with offers on the place. We are in contract currently, price was set pending the house inspection which relieved termite damage. I would also use this service to treat the termites and from what I have read, keep treating for the property every few years.

Anyone dealt with these bastards before?

I would be really leary of buying a house I know has termite problems. I would be sure to get one hell of a professional with p[lenty of experience hunting for termites. They have means of testing for them without destroying a wall.

Honestly, I can't figure out why they couldnt use skinny sniffers and tiny, little holes at the most. Or maybe thats what they do. I dont know. GOod luck.

yeah they can really mess stuff up.

Ive had to do drawings before for a house that had to be completely gutted because of those little things. There may be damage on one side of the house, and secretly more damage on the complete opposite side without any signs. They really travel.

Jim Vaive at Varment Guard. Dunno his number, but a great guy that really knows his stuff...he's up in Dublin too. http://www.varmentguard.com/residential-pest-control.asp

Echoing other sentiments on here, Max...be very careful with termite damage. Try to build the worst-case scenario for cost of repairs into your offer. Be prepared for a couple hundy a year for termite treatment as well...

My house has evidence of previous termite damage....but it has been "clean" and documented for nearly 30 years by having an annual contract w/ a local company and they perform quarterly checks.

I've been in my house 4 years and haven't had any activity and when I bought my house I had the seller prepay for 5 years of the same service, through Varment Guard as well.

I think with today's monitoring practices and ability to correct issues it's much less of an issue than it was 20 years ago. I say if you like the house and it's a good deal, don't worry too much about it. Maybe do something similar to what I did, make the seller pay or give you credit for the monitoring service for so many years, for peace of mind.

I'm pretty sure the Varment Guard service is like $225/year and for as long as you have the service if you/they ever find more evidence or existing termites, they coverage your damage up to $1million, so plenty for my home.

My .02.