AT&T to acquire T-Mobile for 39 Billion.

SpaceGhost

NY Times confirmed the deal:

"AT&T announced on Sunday that it had agreed to buy T-Mobile USA from Deutsche Telekom for $39 billion, in a deal that would create the largest carrier in the nation and promised to reshape the industry.

The acquisition would give AT&T additional leverage against its main rival, Verizon. The newly combined company — bringing together AT&T’s 95.5 million wireless subscribers with T-Mobile’s 33.7 million customers — would account for roughly 42 percent of all wireless subscribers in the United States. Verizon has around 31 percent, said Charles Golvin, a telecom analyst at Forrester Research. T-Mobile customers would have the option to buy an iPhone, helping AT&T combat the migration of the popular device to Verizon."

Read more here:

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/att-to-buy-t-mobile-usa-for-39-billion/?emc=na

Fml... I've had tmobile for eight years or more an loved them nbow I have a feeling its gonna go to shit...

att is just as good as tmobile bro. i get better 3g coverage with att, and customer service is just as good imo

My T-Mo account has been open for 15 years, since they were Aerial. Hopefully it doesn't go to shit now. I can see tethering going away and data plan prices going up.

i hope im grandfathered into my unlimited data. my cingular plan was grandfathered in when cingular collapsed into att.

Until your contract ended or for good?

T-Mo has a ton of grandfathered plans.

att is just as good as tmobile bro. i get better 3g coverage with att, and customer service is just as good imo

Now you'll get even better coverage as the deal is really about at&t garnering more cell towers. My understanding is that this deal will take about 1 year to close but it will save them 5 years worth of permits and building of towers. Should expand their network of coverage by about 30%.

Now you'll get even better coverage as the deal is really about at&t garnering more cell towers. My understanding is that this deal will take about 1 year to close but it will save them 5 years worth of permits and building of towers. Should expand their network of coverage by about 30%.

I've always had free roaming through on my T-Mo plan on the AT&T network anyways. My old ass grandfathered plan includes 1000 free roam minutes and 5 GB roam data

I wonder how much unlimited means? Verizon use to pull that "umlimited" crap but after 5gb you would be getting charged afterword.

unlimited on tmobile is completely unlimited from what i recall. paul might know.

it was probably a logical step from att for this acquisition. not much will need to change in terms of infrastructure considering both companies use GSM.

It makes sense, but I wasn't expecting it. Especially with all the talk of Sprint buying them. They are both gay for HSPA+, and now T-Mobile will eventually get LTE because AT&T is basically just using HSPA+ as a holdover till they get LTE up. For the immediate future, though, this could mean better service for customers on both sides.