Senators Try To Get DUI Checkpoint Apps Banned

Bigbird

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/23/senators-urge-phonemakers-to-ban-dui-checkpoint-apps-blackberry/#continued

First off, I do not condone drunk driving. I do however think DUI checkpoints are annoying and borderline unconstitutional. These apps also alert drivers of speed traps, dangerous intersections, school zones, etc.

Your thoughts?

well intentioned police and senators have a point, but their blame is misplaced.

an app that alerts people to DUI checkpoints, speed traps, red light cameras is only as dangerous as the people who use it, who are (derp) drunk drivers. their cell phone didn't make the decision for them.

besides, i would think police would be completely for an app that encouraged people to drive safely by pointing out apparently dangerous spots.

I've always wondered what the 'alert' has to look like. Do they just give some homeless guy $5 and a 40oz. to go sit on a corner and mumble something about a DUI check point at broad & high? I'm sure they do as little as legally possible, which I'm sure isn't much.

At least with these programs the public can actually be informed about where these check points are. Why is this such a bad thing? I'm sure they fought against having to inform the public the first time. Now they are doing it again. You know who else didn't want their people to use technology to communicate about government issues? Egypt. I know, very different, but it's also a very slippery slope.

Of course black berry, RIM, was the first to ban these apps and did so right away. What a bunch of douchers. :o

Central Ohio DUI check points are normally announced on the local news channels the night of.

It's their way of making it "legal" considering when you read about them the next day at times they don't ever catch drunk driver's. They catch people with no seat belt, no front plate, illegal tint, car seats not installed correctly etc.. I don't care about it because I usually always hear them on the news and avoid the area anyways.

I would think that probably has little to do with what the police department legally has to do.

They legally have to release the info about it through a public release.

Yeah they just had a DUI checkpoint here in Columbus. The news reported on it's successes; 4 DUIs, and a COUPLE HUNDRED other citations. A DUI checkpoint is not primarily for drunks, it a huge revenue generator for a broke, corrupt, mismanaged city that has no other way to get money to mismanage. Fuck them.

Yeah they just had a DUI checkpoint here in Columbus. The news reported on it's successes; 4 DUIs, and a COUPLE HUNDRED other citations. A DUI checkpoint is not primarily for drunks, it a huge revenue generator for a broke, corrupt, mismanaged city that has no other way to get money to mismanage. Fuck them.

+ fucking 110000000000000