Any thoughts/comments on modifying a 4cly turbo diesel boxtruck engine.

Rustlestiltskin

Our family company has had this 1999 mitsubishi fuso 12ft box truck for about 5yrs. it has a 5speed and a 4cyl turbo diesel engine. We use it to pick up parts and also to pick up thousands of pounds of sheet metal that we use when we don't have it shipped to us. I'm trying to figure out how to squeeze some more horsepower out of it so that when it is hauling heavy steel that it doesn't act like a dog all the time. the stock turbo is a TD05 which sounds like a common small turbo. the downpipe and exhaust on it is only 2 1/2 inches and there is no cat.

Stock engine output is: 145hp @2900rpm

Now the thoughts:

Would putting something like a 3 1/2 or 4inch custom dp along with some aftermarket exhaust free up some tq and hp?

What kind of bolton turbo could I replace the tdo5 with to give it more power without modifying much of anything else.

Is there any programmable kits for this engine?

thanks,

Paul

manual boost controller? im willing to bet that you can get a programmable ecu just like most any mitsu's 2.5" is pretty skinny. a 3" would do wonders, anything larger than that and it wont really do anything besides give you spooling issues.

I'm not expert but crank up the boost will help. Check to see if the truck has intercooler, if not, add one. 3" dp and exhaust will help too. Propane injection. Still not enough, bigger turbo but this will cost you the precious low end torque. Good luck.

it has a stock front mount intercooler but i'll look into everything else.

manual boost controller? im willing to bet that you can get a programmable ecu just like most any mitsu's 2.5" is pretty skinny. a 3" would do wonders, anything larger than that and it wont really do anything besides give you spooling issues.

Pipe sizing in going larger will not effect nothing with spool. Only waste money.

+1 for 4BT

Or a 4.5QSB

Figure out what injection pump you have, and see if anyone is modding that pump, and what they are doing to "adjust" it.

You dont really need a bigger turbo untill you are rolling the coal.

Also, get a good EGT gauge. See how close to the edge of disaster the stock setting is before you go adding more fuel and jacking up the EGTs.