Fuck bridge calls at 4 am!

Buck531

Fuck people who don't have anything else better to do other than open P1 calls for the people who want to go to sleep at night after work. I really can't bitch because it's my job. The ONE branch in California can't send files to the server. $1.2 million in files/sales just in one day. Now that's just fucking nuts right there.

I wish I could fix the issue, but my job/role consists of restarting a service and that's it. Anything else.. not my fucking problem. But I get to stay on the call until the issue has been resolved.

Fuck working 6 pm to 2 am at home and on call from 6 pm to 6 am (at home). :p

Is it something you are not supposed to do because of your position? Would you get in trouble if you did this thing or if something wrong happened while you did it? Do you not have the technical know how or experience to do it?

If it's something you could do, just fucking do it. There is nothing I dislike more in someones work ethic that I'm working with than if they don't do what needs to be done to get the job done because it's 'not their job'. I completely understand that for a myriad of reasons that sometimes it's necessary. I also understand in large companies that's not how thing work sometimes. But most of the time it's just laziness.

Is the service set to restart after it fails (First/Second/Subsequent). Always a better way to go (Just setup a lower priority incident to see if you can tell what caused it). Assume shitty application as services just don't go off line for no reason.

Worked @ banks before and they typically have some kind of continuous service improvement program and if this is a common issue I would submit (These outages impact a lot more than just the business folks).

No, it was nothing I could do to fix it. Part of it was my job, restarting the services on the server. That's it. The services were started fine on the server but it wasn't sending the files. We were told nothing else other than to do that. But for some reason I get to stay on the bridge call until 5:30 am even though there was nothing I could do to fix the issue. We had to get two other groups involved to resolve the issue.

The one thing that just pisses me off for this whole thing is the issue started happening at 9:30 AM Thursday morning. The folks in India (who monitor this shit) didn't bother asking ANYONE about the issue until 18 hours later (at 4 am). The services weren't sending any files all freakin' day and they wait until it's just too late to call someone to fix the problem.

I don't mind being on call 12 hours a day at night. It's my job, but when someone neglects trying to fix the issue for 18 hours and then pages out groups at 4 am that just burns me. If I had the know how on how to fix the issue, trust me, I would.