Harbor Freight Torque wrench?

JaSSon

take it somewhere and get it calibrated. it's a pretty simple system and the worse that could happen is some cheap shit breaks and you ruin a motor, wait what? snap on digital ftw. but in all honesty it's probably more than okay for day to day jobs, if i were a tech and relied on it everyday would i use it? probably not but for the weekend wrencher it's probably fine.

id suggest spend the extra 40 and get a craftsman at least. ive told multiple people never tq any engine fastners with it. the bolts will not reach strech andthey will back out. is a engine worth a good tq wrench. put it this way if you do a 350 the most common motor since prostitutes two felpros are about 85 bucks. run mls 80 ea so 160. and with a very inexpensivve tq wrench wich can be off 40lb. u will be replacing them and the intake. also whatever misc crap u replace like oil, antifreeze, and silicone. plus your labor.me personally i got a snap on and get it recalibrated often. got it redone just for the new block build. so you can take a chance on a motor for a cheap wrench or at least get a craftsman. wich is ok at best.

My thought on any device that takes or makes a measurement I won't buy at harbor freight. I just don't trust the accuracy. I mean, why measure something with a device that you don't trust to be reasonably accurate?

Where are you guys getting your wrenches calibrated, and how much does it normally cost? My craftsman is over 10 years old and I never knew you could get them calibrated. Sounds like it would be worth it.

+1 to where to get calibrated.

I have a Kobalt, it was around $80-100 (gift). On measurement tools, I would not trust a HF product. Lugz I would use it. I would not use it on anything else.

HF is good for big wrenches, sockets, impact, cheap screwdriver/pry bars.

I have three, don't expect them to be 100% accurate and you'll be fine. With that said, I checked mine at work on our calibrator and they were within 3% of my snap-on which is NIST calibrated.

If you can borrow a "good" one to compare it to, that would give you an idea how close it is.

No, they are not good out of the box. They are not reliable long-term either. For torque wrenches, especially when you need to be pretty exact (i.e., Ant's heads), you should spend a little extra on at least a craftsman. Personally I would go with (in this order) 1. Snap-on or Facom, 2. Mac 3. Craftsman

6 Speed: Call Snap-on or maybe PM Rob Lasota if he's still with them. They have the best equipment available to do it. You can also send it in to Mac, they have the parts and equipment to properly calibrate a Snap-on wrench. The plus with them is that their repair facility is in Columbus. You can call Mac (1-800-622-8665) to get an estimate (usually) about sending in really any wrench.