Alignment DIY?

harmonda

Anytime I've added or changed something that resulted in needing an alignment...I've broken out the tape measure and got as close as I can and then took it to a pro to be computer aligned. Back in the day...I watched my dad align show cars, dragsters, circle trackers and his DDs with these gauge thingies attached to the wheels. Not sure if he used string, level, plumb line, or what else. So...my question...is the manual method just plain out now with lasers and computers or can you still do a DIY alignment on a modern car. For reference if it matters...let's use 3 examples...all modern...a C5/C6 corvette, a full-size american 4x4 pick-up and a german AWD SUV.

Here is an example of a kit I saw on eBay also for reference...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320677829615&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

It's kind of like a calculator. Can you do math without one? Yes. Is it easier with one? Yes.

I have one of these at home http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=129&catid=5and can get it as accurate or more then your general wrench will do at a shop. It is best to find a highly qualified, reputable shop that you trust and have them do it. After working in shops for years I have seen plenty of guys "bump" the head so it reads correctly. It's all green and the customer won't notice the wear until it is to late.

An alignment is an alignment... as long as you do it accurately, you can do it just fine by yourself. Alignment racks that use lasers and etc. just make it extremely easy and convenient.

Yet, they still seem to charge the same. I need to align the Supra, but money is forcing me to put it off a bit.

You can do it the old school way, but I wouldn't. It's easier to pay ~$70 and be sure it's absolutely correct. Your tires and suspension components will thank you.