Any thoughts/comments on a Mazda Miata

Rustlestiltskin

well after the triumph thread and having numerous people bring up the idea of getting a miata I figured I would get some comments from everyone here who has read up on them or has had experience with them. I do know of companies who swap engines in them and that could be a possibility in the future. I'm just looking for a fun small convertable thats pretty cheap and that I could swap engines into in the future and the miata seems to be that car. This car will be a fun weekend cruiser with possibilities of being a modified for turns(road course) and what not. not mainly for drag.

Also, can the older pre-98 ones be as fun and reliable as the newer style fixed headlight ones? What are suggestions on that?

I've found many 98+ bodystyle miata's for under 8k and many pre-98 bodystyles for under 4k so i'm just trying to figure out is it worth going with the new bodystyle. so should I spend less money and go w/ old bodystyle or is the new bodystyle worth spending a little more?

Any comments are appreciative

thanks,

Paul

Edited by Rustlestiltskin

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea i'm getting kinda excited about looking at them knowing how fun they can be. I'm just trying to find the right one for the right price. I'm debating on this point if I should rather save money and go with the older bodystyle or spend a little more and go with new bodystyle

http://autox.i-55.com/forums/uploads/1224287778/gallery_5_2_127919.jpg

Trying too hard IMO, but hey, it's better than what I'm driving.

Anyways, I say screw the haters and go for it if it can be had for the right price. I've never owned but driven a few and they can be a blast. Plus, as said, the aftermarket seems to be nuts on these.

Good luck.

are you specifically looking for a NB or open to a NA (up to 97)...in any event I highly recommend a 1.8L

96 and 97 are 1.8L in the NA body (89-95 are 1.6L)

also recommend finding one with a LSD (Torsen)

you can t check for LSDness by putting the rear in the air and spinning the tire...torsens don t work like that...you have to call Mazda and give them a VIN to check if it has a Torsen....

I really don t know much about common problems on these cars but they are very very solid and easy to work on

are you specifically looking for a NB or open to a NA (up to 97)...in any event I highly recommend a 1.8L

96 and 97 are 1.8L in the NA body (89-95 are 1.6L)

also recommend finding one with a LSD (Torsen)

you can t check for LSDness by putting the rear in the air and spinning the tire...torsens don t work like that...you have to call Mazda and give them a VIN to check if it has a Torsen....

I really don t know much about common problems on these cars but they are very very solid and easy to work on

Yea I want one with the 1.8l in them so i'm open to the 96-97 NA bodystyle. I will also be looking to make sure they had an lsd.

Here's a 99 I found that is amazing and is only $6900 w/89k miles. has lsd and other beneficial things.

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2275578297.html

99 29k miles for $8400

http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/cto/2289254697.html

Edited by Rustlestiltskin

I'd go for a 98+ personally. The older ones have lots of rust issues and they seem to bottom out in price around $3-4k for a decent one, whereas you have found you can get a lot newer/nicer/lower mileage one for not much more, plus I much prefer the NB bodystyle...