Any thoughts/comments on a Mazda Miata

Rustlestiltskin

NA & NB = 4x100 15" wheels, NC = 5x4.5 17" wheels. I prefer having access to cheap(er) wheels and tires, which is one reason I like the NB. Just something to consider.

I can't remember, don't know the exact years where everything changed. But they started out I think with just 14" wheels, later it was 14" with a 15" option i.e. 1999 (we just got a base model and it has 14" wheels), then maybe in 2001 they went to 15" standard with 16" option. I'm not sure after that but you may be right about the NC's.

NA's and NB's with 14" wheels have a pretty hefty sidewall, 185/60 14's (at least for 1999).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember, don't know the exact years where everything changed. But they started out I think with just 14" wheels, later it was 14" with a 15" option i.e. 1999 (we just got a base model and it has 14" wheels), then maybe in 2001 they went to 15" standard with 16" option. I'm not sure after that but you may be right about the NC's.

NA's and NB's with 14" wheels have a pretty hefty sidewall, 185/60 14's (at least for 1999).

Here's a chart of all the weights and sizes of stock wheels from 90 - 2003.

http://www.miata.net/faq/wheel_weights.html#weight

I'm torn between getting a 1999 n up bodystyle or saving a couple thousand and getting a pre-99 bodystyle. Is it worth the extra money to get the new bodystyle and what not? i'm looking at a 99, 2001, 92 and a 90. the first 2 i can get for around $5000 and the older 2 I can get for less then $2000.

The NA is the better Miata, the NB is the better car.

It really depends what you are looking for. They both will out handle almost everything in the turns. Stock NA vs Stock NB, it still comes down to the driver.

Once you start changing things, it really just comes down to the style and features you want the most. Almost every part of the NB Miatas can be swapped directly in an NA. So if there's only a few things you really like about the NB, get the cheaper NA and swap those parts in and end up ahead.

I personally love my NA but I can't pack much more than a week vacation in it. My Dad likes his stock 2001 SE more because it can fit two golf bags in the trunk, it has the sport suspension, has a glass rear window, and is still fast enough to have fun in Hocking Hills.

Picking up a 1990 laguna blue "smurf" miata tomorrow. All stock 5spd. Can't wait to start toying with it. It basically looks like the stock version of the previous blue miata posted on the last page

The NA is the better Miata, the NB is the better car.

It really depends what you are looking for. They both will out handle almost everything in the turns. Stock NA vs Stock NB, it still comes down to the driver.

Once you start changing things, it really just comes down to the style and features you want the most. Almost every part of the NB Miatas can be swapped directly in an NA. So if there's only a few things you really like about the NB, get the cheaper NA and swap those parts in and end up ahead.

I personally love my NA but I can't pack much more than a week vacation in it. My Dad likes his stock 2001 SE more because it can fit two golf bags in the trunk, it has the sport suspension, has a glass rear window, and is still fast enough to have fun in Hocking Hills.

Congrats! Glad to hear there will be another Miata owner on here. Read this thread and you'll find yourself doing something to that car every day after work.

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=328159

Also, these cars didn't come with a clear coat from the factory. So if it still has the original paint, clay bar and wax it one afternoon every few months to keep it shining like new.