hio: House of Representatives Expected to Vote on Two Pro-Gun Bills Next Week

Spidey2721

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=6527

Next week, the House of Representatives is expected to vote on House Bill 45 and House Bill 54.

Introduced by state Representatives Danny Bubp (R-88) and Terry Johnson (R-89), HB 45 would eliminate the current confusing standards of carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle. In addition, the proposal would also allow permit holders to carry a firearm for self-defense in a restaurant that serves alcohol, provided they are not consuming alcohol, thus eliminating another “victim zone” in Ohio.

This legislation is a critical step forward to help assure that law-abiding license holders are not arrested for accidentally carrying their firearm in a prohibited manner.

In addition House Bill 54, “Restoration of Rights” legislation, passed out of the House Criminal Justice Committee by a 8 to 3 vote and is scheduled for consideration on the House floor vote next week also.

Sponsored by state Representatives Ron Maag (R-35) and Jarrod Martin (R-70), HB 54 would bring Ohio in compliance with Federal law to provide for the restoration of firearm rights for certain individuals.

Please contact your state Representative TODAY and urge him or her to support HB 45 and HB 54 when they come up for a floor vote next week. Let your state Representative know that these are two much needed pro-gun reforms for Ohioans. Contact information for your state Representative or help identifying your state Representative can be found here.

couple bills i really like to see passed. thought i would share.

Were they ever actually challenged and struck down though? Anyway I read HB 54 and it wouldn't do such a thing, just matches the Federal stipulations of firearm ownership.

It was challenged but it was upheld

wonder if kaisch will sign it, i know he was one of the republicians that crossed lines to vote on clintons AWB a long time ago, one of the only things i dont like about kaisich.

He'll sign it if there is any political/monetary gain for him. Just about everything hes done in office has made him money in some way. As long as the gun right lobbyist donate more to him than the anti-gun lobbyist, it'll pass.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this and reminding everyone to please call and give support for this. HB 45 would give you the right to protect yourself in/walking out of a establishment that serves alcohol. Something you can not do now. Also would remove the chance that you could be arrested for accidentally carrying into a place you did not know served alcohol. It will also clear up the standards of carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle

Go here http://www.capwiz.com/buckeyefirearms/home/ to find the number of the representative for your area. take 5 minutes and please show your support.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20110511/NEWS0108/305110045

Looks like it's just awaiting Kasich's signature at this point.

It still has to go through the senate, but they've already passed a similar bill. There will still be quite a bit of time until it becomes a law unless they fast track it before the summer recess.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm all about everything except eliminating the training and paperwork for the CCW. I'm all about making it easier for people who carry, but it could create a clusterfuck about who is actually able to carry and who is not able, by law. You could have some gangbang felon who now is going to carry everywhere. I'd just like there to be no "gun-free zones."

... I'm all about making it easier for people who carry...I'd just like there to be no "gun-free zones."

So you want to ensure that people's rights are granted but at the same time strip people of their rights?

I don't know about make it easier to Conceal and carry. Because it would also make it easier for dumbass fucktards to conceal carry, do something dumb and ruin it in the long run for the rest of us. If anything make it more difficult to conceal and carry. CCW should be for people that truely understand it's meaning, purpose, and people that are qualified to do so. Not for some 21 year old with no criminal back ground to carry because it would make him "kool".

When I was young I had to take a hunter safety course before my parents would allow me to go hunting. I think a Concealed handgun course with something saying you passed it would be acceptable. Nothing drastic. Just a simple course and a small test.

So you want to ensure that people's rights are granted but at the same time strip people of their rights?

Exactly. No where does it say that concealed carry is someone's RIGHT, it seems like it's a PRIVILEGE to me. I think it's everyones right to own guns, unless they are felons. I do think that everyone should have to take a training/safety class and get a license just like everywhere else.

It doesn't seem much different to me than hunter's safety course like what Drew is talking about.