Audi?

Richard Cranium

I assume who I'm looking for here is Jones. I know jack shit about imports. My neighbor just bought an 05 Audi S4 Quatro. It has the 4.2 V8 and a standard trans. It's just a toy for playing around with, some time in the future he will probably boost it. As for now he has very little cash left for mods. Since I'm the neighborhood motor head he came to me first. What are the popular level 1 must do mods for a car like this? Also, what forums or sites should I recommend to him for information on what people are doing to these cars? Thanks guys.

As for now he has very little cash left for mods..

yeah, he's likely not going to do much with it. my buddy has one of these. $1800 exhaust sounds awesome---added 5hp probably. people chip these cars as stated above, but anything more than that requires deep pockets. they look great, and drive smooth as butter--but get waxed by my stock GTO.

audizine.com is probably a good place to start. here is the wiki thread which lists many specs and covers tuners to start researching.

http://www.audizine.com/wiki/index.php?title=B7_S4

since it is an NA car the biggest bang for the buck initially will be to replace the down pipes and remove/replace pre cats with straight through's or hfc's

another good source of data on chips, however there is not much to be gained for the cost.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/402306-Chips-Poll-with-customer-review

Good luck with boosting it. They do sell a supercharger for it, which last time I checked costs around $9K. If he's looking to go fast, buy a B5. Besides that he's going to spend about $2-3K to make 20hp or so from a chip and exhaust. They do sound good though.

Exhaust and chip is the best thing you can do for it , but like Kickass said not much upgrading past that. This is why I'm doing a B5 S4 2.7TT engine swap. I'm going to finish it up this month since I now have some time and just a few more parts I need to pick up.

Parts for these cars are pretty expensive. Longtubes are $2500, exhaust is around $1300, tune is around $500 and all that won't gain you too much... Not to mention how much of a pain in the ass it is to install these things. The v8 is crammed in there pretty tight meaning no room to work.

Also, several common failures.

-Water cooled alternator $525

-A/C compressor $900

-Starter $200

-Flywheel $900

-Power steering $depends

-Valve cover gaskets

-Window regulator

-etc...

I have had mine for quite a while and I have been affected by the valve cover gaskets, window regulator, a/c compressor and the power steering :o

Despite all of this, this is probably my favorite daily

Good place to read below

http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/46-B6-B7-S4-RS4

As stated, I would leave it stock. Tell him to clean out his intake box and side funnel (supposedly gets clogged with debris) replace the spark plugs (supposed to help these engines greatly) and leave it stock power wise. Get an exhaust for sound (AWE recommended) coilovers and some wheels.

my buddy has a billy boat exhaust on his S5. sounds perfect--not too loud, no drone, and was fairly easy to install with my lift. $1800. the car looks great, and he drove it all winter here in wisconsin without an issue. it would be a great daily, but probably one of my last choices for a 'project car', unless my project involved spending shit tons of money for minimal gains.