Worth my time?

to fight a 2 point ticket in court? I'm nearly 24 and haven't had a points violation in 7 years. My insurance doesn't require me to disclose tickets. I'd have to take a half day and I'm in sales so it could mean a loss of income (you never know). Its $126 and I fully expect to pay more to plead to a no points violation if i'm even privy to that luck.

OH and I won't be getting any more tickets anytime soon. I'll leave the illegal U-turns to the customers from now on.

to fight a 2 point ticket in court? I'm nearly 24 and haven't had a points violation in 7 years. My insurance doesn't require me to disclose tickets. I'd have to take a half day and I'm in sales so it could mean a loss of income (you never know). Its $126 and I fully expect to pay more to plead to a no points violation if i'm even privy to that luck.

OH and I won't be getting any more tickets anytime soon. I'll leave the illegal U-turns to the customers from now on.

Not sure about your insurance or that of your employer, but my State Farm Policy doesn't penailze me for carrying just 2pts. I plead down a larger violation to a simple 2pt speeding charge back in 2006 with zero change at all.

I didn't pay more. Just paid the court cost and a few bucks for speed. I wouldn't sweat it. Besides, it was U-Turn not speed / MPH or anything that an employer "might" consider a greater indication of a higher risk. I'm sure they've seen way worse and probably won't bat an eye to that.

Not sure about your insurance or that of your employer, but my State Farm Policy doesn't penailze me for carrying just 2pts. I plead down a larger violation to a simple 2pt speeding charge back in 2006 with zero change at all.

I didn't pay more. Just paid the court cost and a few bucks for speed. I wouldn't sweat it. Besides, it was U-Turn not speed / MPH or anything that an employer "might" consider a greater indication of a higher risk. I'm sure they've seen way worse and probably won't bat an eye to that.

Oh my boss doesn't care. He's more pissed at the cop for pulling over someone with a dealer tag in a completely abandoned area only used by car salespeople in the scarborough rd area.

when i pleaded a 70 in a 55 down to a "equipments violation" in dublin a few years ago, my ticket was like $85, and after the prosecutor let me plead it down, it was $95 total. cost me $10 more than what i would have paid, 0 points, no insurance hike

insurance will find out. Id fight it. And what if you get cited again for something out of your control( failure to control in a wreck).

There's not much to "fight" ? I mean, you can easily get in front of the prosecutor but what are you going to say? It's not like there's anything in question to debate; it's a u-turn violation.

What makes anyone think asking for a favor to plead it down is going to result in much? I'm not saying it's impossible, but I just ran this by my wife who used to work in that office and she flat out asked what compelling reason would a prosecutor have to help out? I suppose if you feel the time and effort is worth it. I couldn't see giving up even a couple/three hours to save $125. I would check with your insurance to even see if one 2pt violation even matters. I doubt it, unless you'll be carrying more than just 2pts.

i know they do audits but its pretty infrequent i thought

Not sure who your insurance company is, but the one I work for will run MVR reports to check for tickets or accidents every 6 months when your renewal term is up. If it doesn't show up on the state report, then we don't know about it (unless you're dumb and tell us over the phone, which people actually do).

Not sure who your insurance company is' date=' but the one I work for will run MVR reports to check for tickets or accidents every 6 months when your renewal term is up. If it doesn't show up on the state report, then we don't know about it (unless you're dumb and tell us over the phone, which people actually do).[/quote']

progressive

progressive

Yea that's where I work, if you end up just taking the ticket it'll show up on your insurance on your next 6 month term. They stay on for 35 months. I recommend calling, asking them to quote what it would be if a ticket were to show up on your record (out of "curiosity"). Figure out how much that will cost over the next 3 years, then decide if it's worth it to fight or not. Having one speeding ticket on your insurance is a larger increase than having one DUI.

I think I'd be inclined to just pay the ticket and move on.

I fought what I considered to be a fairly frivolous ticket a few years ago. I got my Matlock on and went all lawyer and shit in the courtroom. I had diagrams and all kinds of shit. I had what I thought was a great case. My impression is that the judge that heard the case out of the small town where the ticket originated wasn't too pleased with me and my antics and did not rule in my favor. Well, fuck that, I said, and appealed that shit and took my case downtown. Went downtown, long story short, I ended up getting a favorable plea and took it.

Yay, vindication, right? Well, not really. I mean, it was kind of cool to play junior lawyer and all (I was pre-law at one point in college, after all), but in the end I am pretty sure I lost out, considering all the time I had to spend preparing my case and appearing in two different courts on two different days to fight it. And it wasn't like I was charged with vehicular homicide or something crazy like that. In restrospect, my time probably would have been better served by simply paying the ticket and moving along (or paying an actual lawyer to fight the case).

Yea that's where I work' date=' if you end up just taking the ticket it'll show up on your insurance on your next 6 month term. They stay on for 35 months. I recommend calling, asking them to quote what it would be if a ticket were to show up on your record (out of "curiosity"). Figure out how much that will cost over the next 3 years, then decide if it's worth it to fight or not. Having one speeding ticket on your insurance is a larger increase than having one DUI.[/quote']

Correct, most carriers are going to review at every renewal.

Here's the thing though, if you're just trying to plea down to a no points illegal u-turn it's not going to make a difference in how your insurance company handles the violation. Inruance companies could care less if the state charges you 2 points or 20 points for a violation, if it's still an illegal u-turn they're going to handle it the same and you're still going to get dinged for it in their eyes. The only way you'll benefit from fighting is if you get the whole violation changed to a non-moving offense. So a no points illegal u-turn gets you nothing but wasted time and money for something your insurance company will still ding you for. If you were in jepordy of getting a points suspension with the state then fine, but if you're merely worried about your insurnace you need a game plan to get it changed to equipment violation or don't worry about it at all.

Another thing to consider, most major carriers have forgiveness hidden in there that they don't necessarily tell you about up front. There's a very good possibility if you've truely been clean for 7 years you won't get charged for this anyhow. They could just let it fly under the radar. Of course if you get another minor in the next 35 months you will suddenly start getting charged for this one and your next one if it happens.

Andy

Here's the thing though, if you're just trying to plea down to a no points illegal u-turn it's not going to make a difference in how your insurance company handles the violation. Inruance companies could care less if the state charges you 2 points or 20 points for a violation, if it's still an illegal u-turn they're going to handle it the same and you're still going to get dinged for it in their eyes. The only way you'll benefit from fighting is if you get the whole violation changed to a non-moving offense. So a no points illegal u-turn gets you nothing but wasted time and money for something your insurance company will still ding you for. If you were in jepordy of getting a points suspension with the state then fine, but if you're merely worried about your insurnace you need a game plan to get it changed to equipment violation or don't worry about it at all.

Another thing to consider, most major carriers have forgiveness hidden in there that they don't necessarily tell you about up front. There's a very good possibility if you've truely been clean for 7 years you won't get charged for this anyhow. They could just let it fly under the radar. Of course if you get another minor in the next 35 months you will suddenly start getting charged for this one and your next one if it happens.

Andy

I recently switched carriers. Liberty Mutual was charging me out the ass so I got with Progressive a year ago. I was amazed at how low my rates are, so if it jumps a little bit its not going to break the bank. And I have been clean of moving offenses for 7 years.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably just end up paying it and moving on. I've fought a ticket in court once before and had it reduced to nonmoving, and it really didnt affect the outcome (still got a suspended license) so I think I'll be swallowing my pride. Maybe I'll go down the the station and offer Officer Strozyk a test drive in a FIAT as a peace offer :D

Andy

Yep, and a lot of people don't realize this too. Insurance company points are not equal to license points, and they decide what kind of scale they use. For instance, in some cases your first speeding ticket may be 2 insurance points, but then if you get a second one with the first ticket still on your record, they may assign different points. It also depends a lot on what state you're in.

Also, I recommend people check with their carriers about mid-term violation removal. Not everyone does this, but if the state allows it and the company does as well, you can call in and have the violation removed before your next renewal if it meets some requirements. Usually it'll need to have been after the chargeable period for the violation, along with having no new violations since your current term started. Again, this isn't something that will be proactively offered, but if you call in and specifically request it then they may be able to remove it. (And if the first customer service rep says no, try back a few more times. Sometimes you just need to get someone who knows what they're doing.)

Also' date=' I recommend people check with their carriers about mid-term violation removal. Not everyone does this, but if the state allows it and the company does as well, you can call in and have the violation removed before your next renewal if it meets some requirements. Usually it'll need to have been after the chargeable period for the violation, along with having no new violations since your current term started. Again, this isn't something that will be proactively offered, but if you call in and specifically request it then they may be able to remove it. (And if the first customer service rep says no, try back a few more times. Sometimes you just need to get someone who knows what they're doing.)[/quote']

I write insurance rating code. What you describe above could be done in one or our service centers with the carrier I write for but as soon as an agent rates your policy in their office again my code will tack that violation back on for the remainder of the term :D

I write insurance rating code. What you describe above could be done in one or our service centers with the carrier I write for but as soon as an agent rates your policy in their office again my code will tack that violation back on for the remainder of the term :D

Interesting. Seems like it wouldn't be an issue with policies directly through a company then, just through agents?

Sounds like you are the reason we get people calling in bitching about why a ticket they removed showed up again :cool:.