anyone good with computers?

mjrsplat

i have an hp mini 1151nr with a dead drive. i am trying to get it going with windows xp portable on a thumb drive, because mainly i just need this thing to do tuning and data logging on my car, so i cant justify paying more than the netbook is worth for a new harddrive. at any rate, i'm not that computer savvy, and this thing is just a paperweight in my hands. is there anyone who wouldnt mind lending a hand to get this thing going on a thumb drive? or does anybody have a 1.8 pata harddrive that works that they wanna get rid of and not charge an arm and a leg? i'm open to suggestions at this point.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-8-ZIF-CE-hard-drive-disk-hdd-CF-adapter-card-O-/320683588395?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aaa3b3b2b

im thinking about getting this. if it works out, i could just put a decent size card in it and it will be flash memory, so i wouldnt have to worry about frying harddrives. should work right?

EDIT: @chadz89gta

have you actually checked newegg? i saw one harddrive on there, they wanted well over $200. my netbook isnt worth that.

i had a stripped down version on a thumb drive.. what i am attempting is a full install on a cf media card.. i bought an adapter where it goes in where the hard drive was. if i figure out how to get it going i will share the information.

Hirens boot disk has mini xp on it. You just boot from either the cd or the thumb drive and it loads XP. It's how I bypass my corporate firewall when I travel. Its stupid easy to make either the disk or the thumb drive version.

thanks, but i just ordered another harddrive, which sucks because i am going to use the car for data logging and we all know how shitty 1.8" hard drives are when it comes to vibration..

link? pretty sure its not too late to cancel the order, i just ordered it.

idk if a ssd would work, i know some of the dell mini models have them, and thats basically what i was trying to accomplish with the cf card zif adapter, but it wouldnt accept the cf card as bootable, it gave it drive letter x.

If it were me I would buy an older used laptop off of Ebay. Find something that is popular and there are a lot of.

I've been using Dell D510s for years. You can buy them for ~$100-150 in working order. They run XP, have a serial port, and parts are widely available for them. They were a huge corporate favorite so there are a lot of refurb units around. They also used standard hard drives that you can pick up for next to nothing. They are a little on the large size but I'm sure there are some smaller Dells or IBMs out there that would be a great fit.

I, personally, would not consider a netbook for life in a car. Their small size is nice, but their durability would concern me.