School me on brake lines, flares and fittings

Trouble Maker

So correct me anywhere I'm wrong. I searched around the net quite a bit and couldn't find some basics info on these standards.

The fitting 'type' (metric or standard) always dictates the flare type?

ISO=Metric=Bubble Flare

SAE=Standard=Double Flare

This is always true (on newer stuff, not old JSO or anything like that)?

The fitting size dictates the line size?

So say you have an M10 fitting it's always x line size, or if you have a 3/8" fitting it's always y line size?

So what line size do I have if I have a 3/8" fitting (it clearly has a double flare)?

What line size do I have if I have a 7/16" fitting (still need to disconnect it but I assume everything here is SAE, double flare)?

I have a trailer with surge brakes with a mostly soft line, that has just a little bit of hard lines on the end. One end is 3/8" and the other is 7/16". The line is black rubber, 1/8" Good Year (5056). And there is a big rusted hole in one of the small hard line portions so it needs replaced.

Is there anywhere around here that makes brake lines, like this one? I'd just as soon just take this in somewhere and pay to get it made than have to make one. :o

Edited by Trouble Maker

So correct me anywhere I'm wrong. I searched around the net quite a bit and couldn't find some basics info on these standards.

The fitting 'type' (metric or standard) always dictates the flare type? no

ISO=Metric=Bubble Flarecorrect bubble flare is all metric

SAE=Standard=Double Flare double flare can be standard or metric

This is always true (on newerstuff, not old JSO or anything like that)?

The fitting size dictates the line size?

So say you have an M10 fitting it's always x line size, or if you have a 3/8" fitting it's always y line size?most of the time, but you should always measure the line

So what line size do I have if I have a 3/8" fitting (it clearly has a double flare)?

What line size do I have if I have a 7/16" fitting (still need to disconnect it but I assume everything here is SAE, double flare)?its probably 3/16 with two different size fittings

I have a trailer with surge brakes with a mostly soft line, that has just a little bit of hard lines on the end. One end is 3/8" and the other is 7/16". The line is black rubber, 1/8" Good Year (5056). And there is a big rusted hole in one of the small hard line portions so it needs replaced.

Is there anywhere around here that makes brake lines, like this one? I'd just as soon just take this in somewhere and pay to get it made than have to make one. The Right Stuff in westerville can make you a new line if you bring them the old one to copy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave, thanks for all of the info so far!

its probably 3/16 with two different size fittings

So 3/8" fittings usually means 3/16" line? Is that O.D. or I.D? Because there has to be a flare, does the wall thickness always have to be the same? Otherwise, for the same I.D. the O.D could always be different or vice-a-versa.

I would have assumed that, except for there are adapter fittings everywhere in this brake system, and I have no idea why. I think these brakes were all custom (from Featherlite) but it still doesn't account for all of these adapters. This system has not been touched (as far as I know) since purchased new. This line goes from near the master cylinder to the t where it splits off to go to the wheels. At the 'front' it's 3/8" fitting and at the rear it's 7/16" fitting. But at the front there is immediately an adapter which is also 7/16". If 7/16" was needed at both ends, why not just use it at both ends? It was clearly an option at the back end of the line. :confused:

The Right Stuff in westerville can make you a new line if you bring them the old one to copy

So I did talk to one place yesterday, Ernies Automotive Services on East Main. They said they do custom hard brake lines, but as soon as I described the line they called it a hydraulic line and said they don't do those. One of my coworkers said they used to make lines like this, but larger, for farm equipment at the NAPA he worked at. Most of this line is that black, rubber like flexible line until the ends, they there is a short, few inch, metal portion crimped onto the end so they can have a flare in the metal pipe and a fitting that swivels so it can be tightened down.

Anyways, I will try them out and see if they make this type of line. It's no problem taking it off and bringing it in.

This stuff

http://www.goodyearep.com/uploadedImages/Product_Categories/Original_Equipment/Products/Hydraulic_Brake_Hose/Hy%20BrakeLG.jpg