Best Longitudinal Turbo 4cyl Powerplant

hpfiend

Hey all-

Looking for something small and compact, easiest/cheapest to obtain/ modify to 6-800 hp and bellhousing adaptable to a t5 or t56 or ford toploader.

Off the top of my head I can think of 2.3L T ford engine..

Porsche 951 I know and subaru wrx is probably a lot more expensive to obtain and modify...

Thanks!

Andrew

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

use a 3.0L ford 4cyl marine block it bolts up like a 2.3 but it uses a single 460 bigblock head on top they make all kinds of power with a turbo

This sounds yummy.

Or a GM 2.5L Pontiac Iron Duke, Roller cam, any of a billion after market SBC heads, and Turbo of choice. Downside will be custom intake manifold, and custom Exhaust header.

Hey all-

Looking for something small and compact, easiest/cheapest to obtain/ modify to 6-800 hp and bellhousing adaptable to a t5 or t56 or ford toploader.

Off the top of my head I can think of 2.3L T ford engine..

Porsche 951 I know and subaru wrx is probably a lot more expensive to obtain and modify...

Thanks!

Andrew

If you want those kind of numbers, the best is a 4G63. 2.3T needs head help to reach that much hp, but would probably do it after a bunch of money was thrown at it.

Thanks guys! I knew the 1G DSM motor was strong but didn't know it was able to be mounted longitudinally and or adaptable to a transmission that was like glass unless I threw tons of money at it...

I need to talk to that mustang guy on youtube... I know the auto is better for boost but I want to slam some gears....

What about a GM Ecotec? There are bolt-on cars putting out 450-500 HP with the stock fuel system (the 2.0L DI engines). The high powered cars are building 2.4L blocks and adding a secondary fuel rail (port injection + direct injection).

A 4G63 might be cheaper to build due to all the used parts out there, but then again the Ecotec's been around for a long time as well, so blocks, heads, etc. should be easy to pick up at a junkyard.

that's what I was thinking in fwd and awd configurations but that guy has one in his mustang and it looks longitudinal to me somehow..

Check youtube they have videos on other options for trannys bolton kits for r154 toyota supra and rb25 nissan trans.

Thanks guys! I knew the 1G DSM motor was strong but didn't know it was able to be mounted longitudinally and or adaptable to a transmission that was like glass unless I threw tons of money at it...

I need to talk to that mustang guy on youtube... I know the auto is better for boost but I want to slam some gears....

I race with one in Columbus (4G'd RX7) what, 4 years ago now?

JESUS

What about a GM Ecotec? There are bolt-on cars putting out 450-500 HP with the stock fuel system (the 2.0L DI engines). The high powered cars are building 2.4L blocks and adding a secondary fuel rail (port injection + direct injection).

A 4G63 might be cheaper to build due to all the used parts out there, but then again the Ecotec's been around for a long time as well, so blocks, heads, etc. should be easy to pick up at a junkyard.

Ecotec has actually been the fastest in the quarter, followed up 2nd by the old school VW guys, and 3rd was the 4g63. The problem is a RWD transmission. That is also what gets the 4g63s price up there. They do have viable RWD adapters, but the cost adds up quick. It just depends how much and how far people want to go into it. By the time you buy all the adapters, custom flywheels/converters you could have a junkyard 2j or LS engine going faster for way less.

Ecotec has actually been the fastest in the quarter, followed up 2nd by the old school VW guys, and 3rd was the 4g63. The problem is a RWD transmission. That is also what gets the 4g63s price up there. They do have viable RWD adapters, but the cost adds up quick. It just depends how much and how far people want to go into it. By the time you buy all the adapters, custom flywheels/converters you could have a junkyard 2j or LS engine going faster for way less.

Some of the Solstice LSx V8 upgrades have retained the stock transmission, which means it's either the same bolt pattern as the Ecotec, or the bell housing can be changed. The GM Ecotec build book has a CAD drawing of the bell housing bolt pattern.

No shit. I didn't know that. If I remember correctly the Solstice transmission has also started to find it's way into Supras.

It's the same transmission that's in the Colorado pickup, and the input shaft is the same as the LSx (AFAIK from my time working at the place that made the LS1 and Solstice clutch/disc). Mallet V8 Solstice's used a stock trans.

In one case, a Supra engine has found it's way into a Solstice. It's still a work in progress though.