Best Longitudinal Turbo 4cyl Powerplant

hpfiend

Ecotec has actually been the fastest in the quarter, followed up 2nd by the old school VW guys, and 3rd was the 4g63. The problem is a RWD transmission. That is also what gets the 4g63s price up there. They do have viable RWD adapters, but the cost adds up quick. It just depends how much and how far people want to go into it. By the time you buy all the adapters, custom flywheels/converters you could have a junkyard 2j or LS engine going faster for way less.

I thought brents eclipse is the fastest 4cly in the world? Running the r154 or rb trannys you run the stock flywheels only mods is the bellhousing andshaftss which come in the kit for under 400 bucks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought brents eclipse is the fastest 4cly in the world? Running the r154 or rb trannys you run the stock flywheels only mods is the bellhousing andshaftss which come in the kit for under 400 bucks.

99.9% sure it is. I remember seeing an ecotech rail up there as well. It may have been faster. I highly doubt a flat VW 4 has gone faster.

Brents is the fastest door slammer for now. There is Fisher's buggy (VW Pauter engine), a 2.7 Tacoma engined Corralla, and I think sr20 Dastsun in Puerto Rico that have a good change at beating his record.

Dan Nase Ecotech got down to a 6.4:

VW Paradise got a 6.53:

Also another forum that is often overlooked is the sand drags. The are dominated by Pauter 3.5 liter VW based engines. These guys have stupid amount of money into there cars. Below is the national associations website

http://www.nsdn.us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=438&Itemid=32

Brent's car is flat out amazing but people were going on and on about he was the fastest 4 in the world when guys were running his times 5 years earlier. It's just they weren't the popular Honda/DSM engines and get over looked due to it. Unfortunately the import racing associations and NHRA are very biased and constantly change rules to keep non-traditional engines from competing because they don't have the huge fan following across the country.

Edited by 10phone2

brents car is still the fastest 4cylinder back halved car i believe...by backhalve i mean a full tube chassis car with factory front aprons added on after the fact..if you look the front struts dont even bolt to the aprons like they are suppose to

Honda s2000 is very stout. Nissan sr20det is good too. Theses two example are all aluminum, less weight.

Toyota 3sgte is an animal. Mitsubishi 4g63 is a beast. Both are iron block so somewhat heavy. If I have to chose, 4g63 gets my vote. You can swap the 2.4 bottom end in there if you want more torque.

No one is knocking Brent's car. Multiple people stated that is was the fastest door slammer and that 4g63 are good motors. At the same time it's not the fastest 4 cylinder regardless of rail, factory backed or not. Another one to throw out there is John Sheppard and his 7.7 Talon street car, John Hubers 2.3 based mustang, and Chris Bubetz running 8's in the early 90's in a vw. The list goes on and there are a ton of options, it just depends what you want to do.

Get real with that comparison-Not only is it a fucking rail car, but it was sponsored by GM!! Also consider, this block some sort of exotic liner, and a billet crank (both stock parts in Brent's car)

Just because they used it, doesn't mean it's required to reach the power level he's looking for. Yes, GM used a billet crank in the 1000-1200 HP drag cars, among other things, but there are quite a range of interchangeable parts out there so you can build the Ecotec how you want (much like a 4g63).

The 2.0L's are square (86 mm x 86 mm) and should be happy to rev high. You can find factory forged cranks, you could bore and stroke it with factory parts to 2.1, 2.2, 2.4L. The drawbacks are you would want to sleeve it for a high power build and aftermarket cams are hard to come by.

OP has made his decision. Why are you comparing a car that was made to compete to an engine made to commute?

Look at the post times. He posted as I was typing.

As far as, "comparing a car that was made to compete to an engine made to commute," since the OP said he was only looking for a 4 cylinder engine to put into a RWD project, the platform doesn't matter. Sure the EVO is a hell of a car, but it's built from a commuter car. GM has never put a turbo Ecotec into an AWD platform, so I'm not trying to compare and EVO to a Cobalt, I'm simply offereing up an option that would meet the OP's goals. The Ecotec has been around for a long time and finding cheap parts for it should be no issue (Saab 9-3, Cobalt, G5, Ion, Malibu, Equinox, Aura, Sky, Solstice, G6, Regal, etc. etc.). You have plenty of tuning capability with HPTuners, it can bolt to a number of transmissions, and it's proven that it can put out good power while being reliable. There are 450 whp 2.0L car's with just bolt-on's and a reflash. There are 2.4L car's (stock 177 hp) that have been driven hard with over 400 HP for over 20k miles. The Formula Drift cars (aside from Rhys Millen's late version of the Solstice) are stock engine's with forged pistons and have proven themselves. So I stand by my comments that the Ecotec could be a good option for the OP.

Plenty of people were offering up the 4G63 as an option. I threw out a different option.

Commuter car? Don't people take the crankshaft out of the Eagle Summit to build 2.3L stroker motors?

hpfiend - What is this engine going into? Good luck.

Look at the post times. He posted as I was typing.

As far as, "comparing a car that was made to compete to an engine made to commute," since the OP said he was only looking for a 4 cylinder engine to put into a RWD project, the platform doesn't matter. Sure the EVO is a hell of a car, but it's built from a commuter car. GM has never put a turbo Ecotec into an AWD platform, so I'm not trying to compare and EVO to a Cobalt, I'm simply offereing up an option that would meet the OP's goals. The Ecotec has been around for a long time and finding cheap parts for it should be no issue (Saab 9-3, Cobalt, G5, Ion, Malibu, Equinox, Aura, Sky, Solstice, G6, Regal, etc. etc.). You have plenty of tuning capability with HPTuners, it can bolt to a number of transmissions, and it's proven that it can put out good power while being reliable. There are 450 whp 2.0L car's with just bolt-on's and a reflash. There are 2.4L car's (stock 177 hp) that have been driven hard with over 400 HP for over 20k miles. The Formula Drift cars (aside from Rhys Millen's late version of the Solstice) are stock engine's with forged pistons and have proven themselves. So I stand by my comments that the Ecotec could be a good option for the OP.

Plenty of people were offering up the 4G63 as an option. I threw out a different option.

Commuter car? Don't people take the crankshaft out of the Eagle Summit to build 2.3L stroker motors?

hpfiend - What is this engine going into? Good luck.

All very good points- I like the ecotec as those turbo cobalts are very fast- my only concern is that it will cost a lot more at the power level I want to be at... but I will def look into it- the 4g63 may be cheaper but I was not aware of the hptuners tuning as I am getting that for the vette very soon so subtract the price of whatever is necessary to tune the 4g63..

Once we find one my dad and I want to put it into a 1970s AMC Gremlin (~2000 lbs) with a T5 or T56 and a 8.8 or 9".

Goal is low 10s.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone!