Brake line question

codyh

So I read through the fellas other brake question thread and he did not have the same question. So instead of posting in his thread and getting it off track Ill just make my own..

Here it goes, I am doing a brake line tuck on my 4th gen lude. But Im wondering what kinda flare I want, 37 degree or 45 degree. That question tho, dictates what kinda fittings I get. 45 degree flares would be just OEM honda fittings, and the 37 degree flare would only be compatible with AN fittings. And I wanted to use AN fittings. But from my research I am having troubles finding a 37 degree DOUBLE flare tool. It was also brought to my attention that AN fittings may not be able to hold the pressure from brakes. So that means my brake lines would be single flared (not up to DOT standards, therfore not technically legal) and possibly AN fittings that cant hold pressure from the brakes.

My question is, are AN fittings really that weak? And would it be a bad idea to buy a 37 degree flare tool that can only do a single flare? Or do you think the single flare will be suffecient for my brakes?

Thanks to all that answer!

• Upvote 1

ok so you are not saying the likely hood of being within 10/1000s is greater or lesser using a 45 degree double flare or 37 degree single flare...

But again here are my original questions!!!

My question is, are AN fittings really that weak? And would it be a bad idea to buy a 37 degree flare tool that can only do a single flare? Or do you think the single flare will be suffecient for my brakes?

More opinions please!

AN fittings are designed to be used with stainless lines, and you cannot double flare stainless - it WILL crack. It really comes down to what type of line you want to run, regular steel or stainless. With steel you double flare to a 45 degree fitting, with stainless you single flare to a 37 degree AN fitting. Both work just fine if done properly. Biggest difference is cost and that you can polish the stainless on a show car. As far as performance, basically no difference. Stainless is a little bit tougher to bend into tight radius curves, buy extra for when you screw it up. The big advantage on race cars is the AN fitting can be disassembled and reassembled many times without affecting performance.

AN fittings are designed to be used with stainless lines, and you cannot double flare stainless - it WILL crack. It really comes down to what type of line you want to run, regular steel or stainless. With steel you double flare to a 45 degree fitting, with stainless you single flare to a 37 degree AN fitting. Both work just fine if done properly. Biggest difference is cost and that you can polish the stainless on a show car. As far as performance, basically no difference. Stainless is a little bit tougher to bend into tight radius curves, buy extra for when you screw it up. The big advantage on race cars is the AN fitting can be disassembled and reassembled many times without affecting performance.

You're kidding right? Please explain how I've double flared thousands of stainless lines and they didnt crack. :gtfo:

ok please please lets not start this haha... Someone else just elaborate on what was said and we can see if there is truth or not. I dont want to have arguements. I just want my damn questions answered... :) hehe

And as of right now not one person has answered my main question which would dictate what flare I go with. Are AN fittings strong enough for brakes??

To be 100% honest the only reason I want AN fittings is for the Bulkhead fittings. Through the firewall, through the wheel arch or strut tower w/e, through the floor to the rears... straight and 90 degree bulkhead.s

AN fittings are plenty strong for brake lines. Don't know if they are DOT legal. As far as double flaring stainless lines, either it was low quality stainless or it did crack inside the double flare but sealed anyway. Of course I'm just working with what Uncle Sam taught me working with EF-111's. We all know how unsafe they are.
  • Downvote 1

you don't have to double flare stainless.

AN fittings are a single flare 37* fitting and are DOT approved if you use the right flex lines.

i will not be using stainless or steel for brake lines on my car. stainless is too hard to bend and steel rusts.

To be 100% honest the only reason I want AN fittings is for the Bulkhead fittings. Through the firewall, through the wheel arch or strut tower w/e, through the floor to the rears... straight and 90 degree bulkhead.s

so use AN bulkhead fitting with an adapdter screwed on the end that takes it back to producton 45 degree double flare problem solved

you don't have to double flare stainless.

AN fittings are a single flare 37* fitting and are DOT approved if you use the right flex lines.

i will not be using stainless or steel for brake lines on my car. stainless is too hard to bend and steel rusts.

AJ, what kinda line do you plan on using?? Stainless steel braided line??? I have heard of people doing that.

Im sure we have flared a few 100,000 or more ss lines, use the right tools and good material.

We well double flare tools as well if you need them, just call the shop 614-523-3410 and material if your going to build them yourself. We can also do custom ss braided now if you need that

Im sure we have flared a few 100,000 or more ss lines, use the right tools and good material.

We well double flare tools as well if you need them, just call the shop 614-523-3410 and material if your going to build them yourself. We can also do custom ss braided now if you need that

You work there now, what's your name? I just dropped off three lines yesterday to have them custom made from my other brake line thread. I talked to a guy named Adam. I'll have to say hi when I come in to pick them up if you are in there. :cool:

You work there now, what's your name? I just dropped off three lines yesterday to have them custom made from my other brake line thread. I talked to a guy named Adam. I'll have to say hi when I come in to pick them up if you are in there. :cool:

Adams a good friend of mine, my family owns the place