69 camaro questions

Reed44

i am starting on the camaro but got a few questions that i cant seem to figure out. Its got a narrowed dana 60 with strange axles and 488 gears. No brakes though. I would like to keep the rear end and put brakes on it but where can i get a kit to do so. It has a muncie four speed transmission. what can this trans handle? i want to do a 383 stroker but my dad is pretty set on a 540 big block with auto trans but I would like to keep it manual. He also said the transmission has a rock crusher in it? Not sure what that is, havent done research on it.

If you have a motor/trans setup idea let me know.

is this a trolling attempt?

a rock crusher is a 4spd Muncy M22 I believe. Not sure if it will bolt up or even handle the kind of power the 540 would be putting down. My guess would be that it would be need to be rebuilt. Or you can be a BAMF and get a Lenco.

is this a trolling attempt?

a rock crusher is a 4spd Muncy M22 I believe. Not sure if it will bolt up or even handle the kind of power the 540 would be putting down. My guess would be that it would be need to be rebuilt. Or you can be a BAMF and get a Lenco.

no trolling lol. never heard of a lenco. i will look it up. i would like to keep what i have to save money but if it needs it then it will get it. just wanted to see if the trans can handle any type of power.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/

is a great resource for first Gen Camaros. I would try there for advice.

i will be getting on there to collect info. i like posting here first because the response is fast and there are alot of people on here that know alot, thanks for the link

'69 camaros are gay in drag form.

check the numbers on the trans. they also had the muncy M21 which was a wide ratio weaker trans. the M22 is a close ratio with a straighter cut gear which made it stronger and noisier.

'69 camaros are gay in drag form.

check the numbers on the trans. they also had the muncy M21 which was a wide ratio weaker trans. the M22 is a close ratio with a straighter cut gear which made it stronger and noisier.

Drag> the gay ass protouring shit youre doing to yours.

pro touring is hot, as is drag. stock form is meh..

Nickey, how strong are the M21's and M22's? How much tq can they take?

M21 and M22 are basically the same with different gear ratios, except the m22 gears are cut slightly different. Not sure how much torque they can take but I wouldnt put one behind a built 540. Look into jericho/jeffco/lenco/gforce. Any of those are streetable and will take the abuse of about any 540.

But, if it was me and it was going to be a drag car I'd put an auto in it.

The M21's had numerically higher gear ratios, thus handled less torque output. Horse power limit is typically 350ish. Typically the M22's were used in Big Block cars and the Z/28's. The name Rock Crusher came form the whining noises they make while running. Like Nickey said from the way the pitch on the gears were cut. Official power ratings on these range wildly from 400-500. This thing could also be a T-10. Which is pretty much a weak suck trans and will grenade much over 275. I think I may have some shrapnel (sp?) around here from one. I would look into having it gone through by G-Force, or Liberty.

As for the brakes, you need to find out what housing ends are on there. Most aftermarket brake companies will have diagrams that illustrate the ends so that you can match up to what you have.

Personally I would go for the small block and the stick. If you get out vited and the 540 goes in, do the auto.

Thanks for the info on the trans. looks like a 383 stroker may work with the muncie which will be great. would 373's or 390's be better. i plan on doing 18's with a 345 on the back or close to that size