All Dynos and tunners are not the same!

Buzz

I always new that you cannot compare different dynos numbers but this confirms it. This also confirms the value of a good tuner.

I went to Brians LSX event on Saturday morning and the car put down a disappointing 621 rwhp and 599 rwt. I say disappointing as I had the car tuned on a mustang dyno in Indiana (Wait For Me Performance) and the car put down 683 rwhp. Brian noticed the tune from WTM was off so I contacted Eric Sgambellone and he met me at IPS Saturday night (that's customer service!). Without touching anything on IPS's Mustang dyno the car put down 592 rwhp and 556 rwt. That is 91 rwhp less than the Musantang dyno at WFM and 29 less rwhp than Brian dyno jet or 5% less on the Mustang dyno.

Eric (with Bill Hatzer Helping)then proceeded to "fix my tune". When all was done the car put down 632 rwhp and 589 rwt. So with a better tune the care picked up 40 rwhp and 33 rwt. He also fixed a few minor drivability issues so the car feels completely stock "except for when you press the peddle on the right". Does this mean the car would put down 663 (5% more) on Brians dyno? Who cares as this proves dynos are only good for tuning and comparing with numbers on the exact same dyno.

I would like to give a special thanks to Eric and Bill for meeting me late to fix my prior tune from another shop. They are the best!

Edited by Buzz

I always new that you cannot compare different dynos numbers but this confirms it. This also confirms the value of a good tuner.

I went to Brians LSX event on Saturday morning and the car put down a disappointing 621 rwhp and 599 rwt. I say disappointing as I had the car tuned on a mustang dyno in Indiana (Wait For Me Performance) and the car put down 683 rwhp. Brian noticed the tune from WTM was off so I contacted Eric Sgambellone and he met me at IPS Saturday night (that's customer service!). Without touching anything on IPS's Mustang dyno the car put down 592 rwhp and 556 rwt. That is 91 rwhp less than the Musantang dyno at WFM and 29 less rwhp than Brian dyno jet or 5% less on the Mustang dyno.

Eric then proceeded to "fix my tune". When all was done the car put down 632 rwhp and 589 rwt. So with a better tune the care picked up 40 rwhp and 33 rwt. He also fixed a few minor drivability issues so the car feels completely stock "except for when you press the peddle on the right". Does this mean the car would put down 663 (5% more) on Brians dyno? Who cares as this proves dynos are only good for tuning and comparing with numbers on the exact same dyno.

I would like to give a special thanks to Eric for meeting me late to fix my prior tune from another shop. He is the best in my opinion!

Details on your car?

Bryan is awesome also. It is just I have been using Eric for years and he was in town. I have used Byran in the past with great results and would not hesitate recommending him.

dynos are good for a close guess but regardless when u pull it off the tune is going to change on the street. one thing you might want to consider is the weather conditions... humidity etc. ive noticed it when tuning my car i had a tuner tune it and then i dynod it and it made 130hp less than what he said it would. i alterted it and go it about 30hp shy of what he said. ever since then i have been tuning my own cars since then and have had good results.

There are a ton of settings that can cause a difference in dyno numbers. The best test is the one you got at IPS, and the one you could get by going back to Brian's. Take your before and after numbers then calculate a percentage increase on both Dynos.

There are a ton of settings that can cause a difference in dyno numbers. The best test is the one you got at IPS, and the one you could get by going back to Brian's. Take your before and after numbers then calculate a percentage increase on both Dynos.

On inertia dynos there is only a few items you can manipulate, but generally this is fairly accurate.

ill be at the track soon proably the cr track rental if i can stop working 12 hrs a day every damn day and get this motor built and installed.

i dont have a powershack membership anymore didnt have anyoneto train with and didnt wana pay 2 gym memberships.

Buzz's car was a pleasure to work on. If I keep this trend up I'm going to tune more GM's this month then subarus Gasp ....

For anyone who's interested the IPS dyno is calibrated exactly to mustangs specs and we see between a 5-8% difference in RWD/FWD and a 12-15% difference in awd. The mustang dyno is truly a heart breaker. I've had so many subbie clients go why is my dyno so low to later call me back and tell me how fast there car feels.

The dyno is tuning tool and I must say I prefer the Loaded dyno over our dynojet anyday of the week.