Is anyone SO ignorant as...

smashweights

to believe that NO ONE in Congress or Obama ever thought to include a stipulation about NO BONUSES? How the fuck are these people in office? I honestly believe this was crooked shit that went down cause there's no fucking way congress was is that dumb. Now they're all scrambling to act like they're trying to fix it. Every one of those fuck up will keep their bonuses.

Do you honestly believe Congress couldn't have put a "No Bonuses" clause in there that would override ANY contracted bonuses? Not buying it. And giving away $180 billion to one company should never be easy to get it set up properly. Didnt they just put caps on some people's salary? It's money they wouldnt have gotten if the company collapsed.

And yeah, can you imagine if you went in to work, did everything wrong and lost billions of company dollars and they paid you millions?

Those bonuses were known about from day one that this package was put together. I'm sure the government folks said to AIG "we know you have to pay these but we will make a big stink about it so it looks like we are the good guys." We basically have the same government that we have had for the past 20 years.

Do you honestly believe Congress couldn't have put a "No Bonuses" clause in there that would override ANY contracted bonuses? Not buying it.

No they couldn't have... like I said...beat to death...

And giving away $180 billion to one company should never be easy to get it set up properly. Didnt they just put caps on some people's salary? It's money they wouldnt have gotten if the company collapsed.

And yeah, can you imagine if you went in to work, did everything wrong and lost billions of company dollars and they paid you millions?

Happens all the time in large companies and has happened for a long time before these recent events. It's nothing new.

This was the emergency Bush money - passed in October, with no stipulations... the Obama package has stipulations. So to blame Obama and the administration for this mess is kind of silly.

But, mainly because fusion hit the nail on the head. This is a legal issue, there really isn't a lot of wiggle room around it... but you know what's also legal, taxing the crap out of the bonus. Score one for the gov't... money comes right back into their pocket.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090317/ap_on_go_co/aig_outrage

Not a perfect solution... but one way or another, Obama's going to work to get that money back if these skeezbags don't give it back.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090317/pl_nm/us_financial_aig_obama_sb_2

One of the mods should probably move this to the Political section.

This was the emergency Bush money - passed in October, with no stipulations... the Obama package has stipulations. So to blame Obama and the administration for this mess is kind of silly.

But, mainly because fusion hit the nail on the head. This is a legal issue, there really isn't a lot of wiggle room around it... but you know what's also legal, taxing the crap out of the bonus. Score one for the gov't... money comes right back into their pocket.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090317/ap_on_go_co/aig_outrage

Not a perfect solution... but one way or another, Obama's going to work to get that money back if these skeezbags don't give it back.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090317/pl_nm/us_financial_aig_obama_sb_2

One of the mods should probably move this to the Political section.

You and fusion shouldn't bother. You know...the whole 'facts' thing. Most people don't bother to research the facts...they run on emotion.

to believe that NO ONE in Congress or Obama ever thought to include a stipulation about NO BONUSES? How the fuck are these people in office? I honestly believe this was crooked shit that went down cause there's no fucking way congress was is that dumb. Now they're all scrambling to act like they're trying to fix it. Every one of those fuck up will keep their bonuses.

those people running the companies are crooks, that's why their companies are failing, if you give a crackhead 100 times what he needs for rent, do you think he is going to pay his rent, or buy more crack..... your not going to fix ANY corruption situation by throwing money at it, you might as well Burn the money.

"That dumb"...

Yes and no. Elected officials are generally pretty ignorant about life outside their tiny bubble of privilege, but these people are not dumb. They know exactly how to keep millions of people properly convinced they are doing a great job! They are geniuses of deciet and misdirection.

Actually those people who got those bonus checks signed a contract to make $1 in 2009. But, there might be charges filed... If AIG KNEW that they could not pay the bonuses then they could be charged for it..

Cuomo subpoenaed information from AIG on Monday to determine whether the payments made over the past weekend constitute fraud under state law. Contracts written last March guaranteed employees 100 percent of their 2007 bonus amounts for 2008, "despite obvious signs that 2008 performance would be disastrous in comparison to the year before," Cuomo said. Cuomo said the bonuses might have been fraudulent if AIG officials knew the company couldn't afford them. Cuomo said that despite their contracts, Financial Products employees agreed to take 2009 salaries of $1 in exchange for receiving their retention bonus packages. He said the fact AIG could negotiate the terms of the payments "flies in the face of AIG's assertion" that it had no choice but to make the contractual bonus payments.

I'm sorry but this is NOT the employees fault.. If I agreed to a contract to work for $1 and in return would get paid the same bonus I made in 2007, then I would expect that money.. PERIOD!!!

Those bonuses were known about from day one that this package was put together. I'm sure the government folks said to AIG "we know you have to pay these but we will make a big stink about it so it looks like we are the good guys." We basically have the same government that we have had for the past 20 years.

i think that's the most likely solution. I mean, in reality this bonus stuff is what, less than $200 million of the $800+ billion etc. and is a great way to distract from any of the more important issues.

Senate version had a clause in it that would have stopped exactly that at one point... but it was very specifically removed. I'm SURE the idea of kickbacks never crossed their minds. :broke: As we get poorer... they get to spend more of our money on themselves.