PS3 Owners, read this -HACKED AGAIN.

unfunnyryan

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/04/sony-admits-utter-psn-failure-your-personal-data-has-been-stolen.ars

TL;DR Sony hates you and all your personal data is in the hands of someone else. Possibly your credit card info too.

With the number of large security breeches in the past few months, like Gawker Media, Epsilon, and now this, its very upsetting that users personal information is not being taken seriously enough. In this day and age, it would not break any of these companies to put more effort into protecting users data.

BUT ITS ALL OKAY. Sony has said sorry.

Discuss.

Edited by unfunnyryan
  • Downvote 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I used any personal info signing up with my PSN account. The email address isn't even valid now. I am pissed the PSN network is still down, as this shit is taking way too long to fix.

Supposedly, they're redoing the network to better protect form this ever happening again. Anyone else also notice the sheer coincidence of XBox Live's little event the day this shit happened? Hmm...

Supposedly, they're redoing the network to better protect form this ever happening again. Anyone else also notice the sheer coincidence of XBox Live's little event the day this shit happened? Hmm...

Yeah, Microsoft was behind it all! I foresee the sales of failboxes skyrocketing in the next 3 weeks.

Also, what the fuck Sony? Seriously guys? We'll see how long it takes for a massive class-action suit to materialize, and a new disclaimer-rich PSN to pop up.

Luckily the credit card I have used is now cancelled. The email address is only used to sign up for things. The nly thing I am pissed about is that I STILL cannot get Netflix to work. I have tried the "workaround" for a total of about 3 hours and cannot get it to work.

I fired up the PS3 a few nights ago for the first time in months and saw where the network was down and turned it back off. I've never bought anything on there so I'm not too concerned.

Although this isn't a PS3 vs Xbox debate (yet), once Forza 4 gets closer to being released I'll probably renew my Live account that expired in November. lol

"but it's free so that makes it better than xbox live"

right?

ha.

You sound like a Mac fag. "Yeah Mac's never get viruses"

That's cause who the hell wants to spend time creating viruses for all 5 people who use it.

Xbox live members = ~30million

PSN members = over 70 million.

That's cause who the hell wants to spend time creating viruses for all 5 people who use it.

I could care less I just like how mad you get

I could care less I just like how mad you get

Mad? Me? Naah...bra.

I haven't even turned on my PS3 in forever, I had no idea the network was even down. PSN could catch the right the hell on fire and I would not give a single fuck. I just hope no one tries to hax my bank account.

Luckily the credit card I have used is now cancelled. The email address is only used to sign up for things. The nly thing I am pissed about is that I STILL cannot get Netflix to work. I have tried the "workaround" for a total of about 3 hours and cannot get it to work.

I have used Netflix the past 3 nights. I just logged in with my PSN email and password. I sometimes have to try a couple of times but it has always let me log in.

Damn... that means every single person who ever bought a PS3 goes on PSN. Plus 20 million more. Impressive.

You do realize you can have more than 1 PSN account on a PS3 right? But on that note, the onlything I have been using the PS3 for netflix. I do most of my gaming on my PC now, I can't stand playing FPS games with a controller.

I have used Netflix the past 3 nights. I just logged in with my PSN email and password. I sometimes have to try a couple of times but it has always let me log in.

Same here.

I have everything updated and just plain will not let me. I am able to get to my queue, but when I try to load a movie it errors out when I have to cancel after getting the network down mssg.

You do realize you can have more than 1 PSN account on a PS3 right? But on that note, the onlything I have been using the PS3 for netflix. I do most of my gaming on my PC now, I can't stand playing FPS games with a controller.

I was going to say lol... there is probably 40 million random accounts that are doubles for someone a girlfriends, kids, etc. And they are all free.... xbl has 30 million paying accounts.

I didnt want to say it.... but you get what you pay for. :lolguy:

You do realize you can have more than 1 PSN account on a PS3 right?

That's kinda my point. The accounts are free and you can make them as often as you like. There's nowhere near 77 million unique users on PSN. There aren't 30 million on Xbox Live either but that number is probably much closer to the truth than the PSN number because there's no point in creating free Xbox Live Silver accounts that can do basically nothing.

They are a huge name why is this taking so long to fix...?

Because they still don't know how deep the breech was.

Leave it to sony to spend billions of dollars pioneering DRM, throwing money at the DMCA, and all kinds of copy protection on bluray, just to have abysmal database security. Their products are way more valuable to them than your information obviously.

Because they still don't know how deep the breech was.

Leave it to sony to spend billions of dollars pioneering DRM, throwing money at the DMCA, and all kinds of copy protection on bluray, just to have abysmal database security. Their products are way more valuable to them than your information obviously.

someone convinced a sys admin to install malware on a system, and they were able to steal the database. the end.

I don't think it was a quantity issue that caused PSN to be attacked. From what I read the attack was initiated by Anonymous because they were mad at Sony.