Sportbikes???

Hahn

Harley Vrod...

http://www.wallpapers8.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/wallpaper-of-harley-davidson-v-rod.jpg

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/images/content/040711_18.jpg

^^ I would have sex with that bike. That and a 100th Anniversary Z06 would look good in my garage and round out my Wheel craving.

The night rod was actually one of the Harleys I was considering, the other being a 48. But then I started looking at sportbikes again and now I'm torn. I guess its all going to come down to test riding each bike and seeing what feels best to me. thanks for the input though fellas.

For your first bike, I'd recommend buying something cheap, for cash, that won't break your heart if you make a foolish mistake and drop it. Since you're just starting out, I'd recommend a UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) like a cb750 Nighthawk or an older SV650. Both bikes will do just about whatever you wanna do and can usually be sold for almost what you pay for them (or more) after you get a season or two under your belt. Ride a standard for a while and figure out what kind of riding you want to do.

Please don't finance your first bike! You may find out after buying a bike that you just don't like it. Then you'll be stuck paying on a bike that you're not riding, and can't sell because you don't have the title yet.

For your first bike, I'd recommend buying something cheap, for cash, that won't break your heart if you make a foolish mistake and drop it. Since you're just starting out, I'd recommend a UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) like a cb750 Nighthawk or an older SV650. Both bikes will do just about whatever you wanna do and can usually be sold for almost what you pay for them (or more) after you get a season or two under your belt. Ride a standard for a while and figure out what kind of riding you want to do.

Please don't finance your first bike! You may find out after buying a bike that you just don't like it. Then you'll be stuck paying on a bike that you're not riding, and can't sell because you don't have the title yet.

I plan on buying in cash after returning from overseas. I dont want to buy a cheap bike that im not happy with because im a beginner. Thats why im doing all this research now so i can be prepared to get the bike that ill love to ride so theres no need to upgrade later on down the road. So as of now, its between a couple Harleys (the only cruisers im considering), and the sportbikes class (600 or 1000) but not sure of which brand if i go that route.

I bought a 06 R6 as my first bike and haven't laid it down or gotten into an accident. Someone at my old job did knock it over and came and owned up to it (if he didn't I had him on video) so that was commendable of him. I think if you are able to know that you need to ride within your limits and that the machine you will be on is capable of owning your ass you should be ok. Take the MSF course fisrt though to see if you even like it.

I plan on buying in cash after returning from overseas. I dont want to buy a cheap bike that im not happy with because im a beginner. Thats why im doing all this research now so i can be prepared to get the bike that ill love to ride so theres no need to upgrade later on down the road. So as of now, its between a couple Harleys (the only cruisers im considering), and the sportbikes class (600 or 1000) but not sure of which brand if i go that route.

If you're gonna be in a position to pay cash for whatever you decide to buy, then more power to ya! Here is the thing though... Since you're just starting out, you don't know what kind of riding you're really gonna do. It isn't about buying a "throw away" bike because you're a beginner. What I'm recommending is that you find and buy a bike that will perform reasonably well in many aspects until you figure out what kind of riding really suits you. For example: I bought my first bike (2001 SV650) because it was comfortable for me, had good performance, and I could commute on it. After I got my endorsement and bought my wife a helmet, we found out (yes, surprised her too!) that she likes to ride with me. The SV really wasn't suited to two up riding though, so I sold it and bought a cruiser. I've had cruisers ever since, only recently buying a Harley, and I can tell you that I don't regret not buying a sport bike for one second.

Of course, if you buy slightly used, you could buy both a cruiser and a sport bike for the price of one new Harley and have the best of both worlds! :D