School Levys

Tractor

I thought I'd tell yal about the school district in which my parents live. Warren school district near Marietta, OH wants money and keeps spamming special elections trying to get one passed so far in the last 12 months they've held 4 elections and been voted NO each time.

They will be having a 5th soon because the people voted no last Tuesday.

To me this has to be wrong in some way. I mean what good is a vote if the schools can simply ignore it and hold another election.

I also bet that if they get a YES the "NO" voters can't just hold elections every 3-4 months until they get the "NO" they are waiting for.

• Downvote 1

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL my kids won't be going to any public school anyway, but thats not the point.

I just think that the rule "No taxation without representation" isn't being applied in this case. The people have "represented" 4 times and are being ignored and that to me can't be legal.

LOL my kids won't be going to any public school anyway, but thats not the point.

I just think that the rule "No taxation without representation" isn't being applied in this case. The people have "represented" 4 times and are being ignored and that to me can't be legal.

Public or private in the state will be going to hell. No teacher worth anything will want to be around after he is done. The private schools might fair better, but they will need to jack up the tuition to get the good teachers.

The problem with school funding, like most other issues is the fact it is a political hot button. To fix the problem correctly you must cause pain to someone. No fucktard, scum sucking suit political type will do that.

op is correct.

and i think kaisch is doing what is right for ohio, he might not fix the school system, but he is making it better imo.

maybe on the budget end he is but what good is a balanced budget if your school systems are completely destroyed and producing below average scores. Also the school systems can not keep adding taxes every 3 to 5 years as that is not a solution either. There truely needs to be a complete reform of the entire system and that has to start at the top.

Also the state needs to look at everything that when it comes to money going out. The other day coming to work I passed to state vehicles that were Jeep Cherokees. Seriously why in the hell are they using old ass jeeps that get shit for mpg and has a 20 gallon tank for a vehicle that get under 300 miles a tank. Don't get me wrong I love my Jeep but there is no reason that the state needs to us that type of vehicle not when that are better options out there.

Guess what cop car I saw in Hilliard the other day... a newer BMW X3. Yes it had Hilliard police vinyls and a light bar. Those things take premium!

BMW donated that to the Hilliard police force when the moved the finance building moved to Hilliard.

...I just think that the rule "No taxation without representation" isn't being applied in this case. The people have "represented" 4 times and are being ignored and that to me can't be legal.

Not so much... That is exactly what is being applied. The people are voting no, so they are represented. They can keep voting no and get their way - that is how it works.

"No taxation without representation" is me working in Columbus and living in Pickerington. I am forced to pay Columbus income tax (as well as Pickerington), but don't get to vote on the income tax issues/increases in Columbus. THAT is taxation without representation. I work there and am subject to the tax, but don't get a say in how much I'm taxed.

I used to think "only property owners" too, but renters do pay the same tax, they just pay it in rent which is then applied to the cost of operating the apartment/house so they get to vote too.

Just think how old the current system is. It pretty much goes back to one room school houses at the township level well before income taxes even exsisted. The system is bigger now, much bigger and it answers to rules and requirements from the top of the executive branch of the federal government. Whole thing really needs corrected, but who's gonna do it.

Not so much... That is exactly what is being applied. The people are voting no, so they are represented. They can keep voting no and get their way - that is how it works.

I know what your saying, but to the schools they will stop when they get a YES. The people have no known recourse. "I guess there might be some means of appeals, but I bet that takes some doing."

They cut bussing, teachers, sports along with other after school activities, books/materials, field trips, then ask for more money. Its a damn shame thats what it is...

What gets me is "If you don't pass this, we are going to cut / fire / whatever". That tells me that they did not have the funds to have them to begin with......

KillJoy

What gets me is "If you don't pass this, we are going to cut / fire / whatever". That tells me that they did not have the funds to have them to begin with......

KillJoy

Even if you do pay it they say the same thing the very next year. At this point we should just start a public home school system.

KillJoy

So school should be 50 kids per teacher, with a few part time aids to make it legal, no gym, no art, and the shittiest cheapest teacher they can find? Thats whats going to happen in a lot of these districts. School districts DRIVE property values, if not for helping the youth thats a great reason to invest in schools. No one will want to move to a town/neighborhood with a shit stripped down district.

So school should be 50 kids per teacher, with a few part time aids to make it legal, no gym, no art, and the shittiest cheapest teacher they can find? Thats whats going to happen in a lot of these districts. School districts DRIVE property values, if not for helping the youth thats a great reason to invest in schools. No one will want to move to a town/neighborhood with a shit stripped down district.

What he is saying is they suck at managing money.

I think you missed my point. I know that when I budget, I do not do the following:

Buy New House

Tell my Boss I need a raise to pay for my new house, or I will have to sell my car.

Kind of the same thing...... sorta....

KillJoy