S13 or Mr2 or MX-5

NismoTuned

OK so it's been a while since I've been on here. I have a 92 S13 right now, but it has a blown KA24de (head gasket blown). I have around a 2k budget right now (poor college kid) Should i stick with the S13 and get it fixed, trade it for a 91 Mr2 or buy an MX-5? I know someone with a KA24de from a 96 240sx with only 90,xxx miles on it. He said he would do the swap himself for $750 altogether which includes the swap and the price of the motor. Or I could trade my S13 plus a little cash and get the Mr2 and still have some money left over. My last option is to sell the S13 and buy my buy my buddy's MX-5 for $1500.. any suggestions/advice/opinions on any of the cars or anything at all? and dont bother telling me to buy a ford, chevy, etc I'm not big on domestics.

Well, Im a Toyota guy so there's my choice, however, there is far too much info not being included to really help with your decision. We have no idea if each of these vehicles are stock or not or what condition they're are in just to start with.

Why start over with a different car? With 2,000 you could drop in a sr20 with a turbo. and still have cash left over.

+1

You don't want an MR2. I loved them, but they are very hard to work on, parts are expensive (well, the turbo ones are). And the Miata is kinda a chick car.

I would love to be able to drop in an sr20 but for 2k i just dont see that happening.. Everything i're read suggests that i would need a 4-5k budget for that.. Believe me im a complete Nissan guy but being in school i need a car that runs.

An easy option, is to:

1. Pull your motor and do head gasket, bearings, valve seals and piston rings.

2. Drop springs, camber kits, and bushings.

3. Cheap turbo if you want to spend all your money.

You wouldn't go broke and you would have a car you could have fun in.

+1

You don't want an MR2. I loved them, but they are very hard to work on, parts are expensive (well, the turbo ones are). And the Miata is kinda a chick car.

Ever driven one?

If you just want something that runs cheaply, Cherokee 4.0 all the way.

Is the MR2 turbo or n/a? I would stick with the KA motor, like others have said, you can fix it right now on the cheap, and if you want to go turbo later you can make just as much power as you could on an SR20 (you just don't get to tell people you have a mad tight jdm sr20 dog).

Thats why I was thinking about having someone throw the KA from a 96 in mine. The guy works for kennedy motors down in cinci where I go to school. I really want to do it right which is why I don't want to do an SR. I'm not trying to spend 2k cutting corners throwing an SR in there for it to blow and bring me more repairs. And i know haha if I keep the S13 itd be fixing/throwing a newer KA in it, and then down the road when I have a little more cash flow doing a swap the right way. Its N/A Mr2, and there is no way in hell I would ever say "I have a mad tight JDM sr20 dog". Fucking ricers and dumbass kids ruining their 240s along w 240s owners reputations by saying that shit lol

Ka24 is failsauce, sr20, rb2x, or different car. I say Miata.

They are all good motors, The ka is so under rated , cast iron block, 2.4 liter only downfall is the weak tranny just like the sr. Its all in how much he has to spend or what he wants the car for.