Anyone have a family/friend in an agency?

dover

Finally out of the Army this week! I am going to begin school or maybe a career.

Looking for a foot in the door or some personal advice on job positions.

C.I.A. Is currently my number 1 but I am willing to do anything. I have put out my resume to a few other places. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Most Government agencies won't look at you without a Bachelors, even with military service. (I actually think the FBI/CIA requires it)

Now if you get a Criminal Justice/Criminology bachelors then go back with your military background, you'll get a huge boost over other candidates. CJ is a pretty easy major, I did it for 3 years and had no problems with it.

You could also look into Law Enforcement, but you're still going to want at least an Associates to get looked at by bigger departments.

Look at this way, the military is going to pay for you to go to school. Go do it. My brother is on the GI Bill and its worked damn good for him. Pay for school, his books, and his rent. And he still has plenty of left over money for other things.

Neighbor is FBI. Does some kinda stuff he doesn't like to talk about very much. FBI won't even talk to you without a 4-year degree. He has 2 Bachelor's and a Masters. Not sure what fields. He even looks like a TV FBI agent.

Guest Hal
Most Government agencies won't look at you without a Bachelors, even with military service. (I actually think the FBI/CIA requires it)

Now if you get a Criminal Justice/Criminology bachelors then go back with your military background, you'll get a huge boost over other candidates. CJ is a pretty easy major, I did it for 3 years and had no problems with it.

You could also look into Law Enforcement, but you're still going to want at least an Associates to get looked at by bigger departments.

Look at this way, the military is going to pay for you to go to school. Go do it. My brother is on the GI Bill and its worked damn good for him. Pay for school, his books, and his rent. And he still has plenty of left over money for other things.

Not true on the criminal justice/criminology. FBI and CIA don't like those degrees very much, and most applicants have graduate degrees. I'm not sure where you got your information, but it's slightly flawed.

Guest Hal

You will need to get your Bachelors for either the CIA or FBI. It's going to be about the same for almost any other "big name" agency. That's the bottom line. An Associates will not even get you an application to the FBI or CIA.

Where do you want to go to school? OSU has an excellent Security and Intelligence program; Tiffin has a really good Homeland Security program. I can only speak personally about the OSU program, but I'll answer any questions you have on that. A couple FBI people I know did the Tiffin route. Like I said earlier, Criminology/Criminal Justice are not as good as people think. That is especially true with the FBI; everything you learn in that program, they will teach you at the academy.

What do you want to do? I can speak about a lot of the different opportunities in those agencies, depending upon what you want.

Your clearance is nice, but not a crazy kicker. You will have to get a TS clearance, so it at least looks good to already have the Secret. Your biggest plus, after a degree, is that you are/were military. The FBI really gives a lot of points to vets. That counts through the hiring process and promotions.

Not true on the criminal justice/criminology. FBI and CIA don't like those degrees very much, and most applicants have graduate degrees. I'm not sure where you got your information, but it's slightly flawed.

My cousin's wife is an FBI agent and she had Criminology, but guess it changed since then. I was in cj for Policing anyway.

Look at this way Dover. Even if you did get a job somehow in one of these agencies. To advance anywhere, you'd still need a degree.

Guest Hal
My cousin's wife is an FBI agent and she had Criminology, but guess it changed since then. I was in cj for Policing anyway.

Look at this way Dover. Even if you did get a job somehow in one of these agencies. To advance anywhere, you'd still need a degree.

I'm not saying it's impossible, there are a lot of agents with those degrees. The problem is that this job market is saturated with experienced people that have more desirable degrees.

I'm not saying it's impossible, there are a lot of agents with those degrees. The problem is that this job market is saturated with experienced people that have more desirable degrees.

No shit, one of the reasons I left CJ, getting a job as a Police Officer is fucking impossible these days unless you know some one.

Curious though, since the S&I program at OSU is a minor, what would be a recommended major?

Guest Hal
No shit, one of the reasons I left CJ, getting a job as a Police Officer is fucking impossible these days unless you know some one.

Curious though, since the S&I program at OSU is a minor, what would be a recommended major?

It is offered as both a major and a minor. If you want to go the minor route (i changed my major to History because I hate foreign languages) try Sociology or Psychology. Both offer exceptional insight into why people do what they do. If I weren't so close to graduation, I would have chosen Psych over History.

Here's the .Pdf info about the major program. http://internationalstudies.osu.edu/files/internationalstudies/S&I%20major.pdf

Dover I know some people in different agencies. I have had a couple friends go with FBI. Some made it and some did not. You know one of the guys. We partied together. He is now in the FBI and has a Intel degree from OSU. He also tried secret service and CIA. I'm sure he could fill you in personally. You WILL have to get a degree first, and you will have to give it a year or more to go through the process of getting accepted and hired on. Call me if you want more info about it. I might be able to get you a state security job out here at the base if you are interested.

Thanks for all the information and PM's I have a couple meetings set up and am passing on my resume. I fully intend on a degree and it will most likely be in international business, as that is what I have been told is desired currently. Thanks again!