Bridesmaids - A Quick Movie Review

Guest Hal

I just got back from seeing Bridesmaids and I have to say that the trailers do not show you what this movie is. In the spirit of one of our esteemed members (the name escapes me), here's a quick review...

Bridesmaids, Universal Studios 2011.

4.75/5 Stars

Living in the shadow of a close friend's life is something most everyone can relate to. There is usually someone in your life who is wealthier, better educated, happier than you are. Most of the time this amounts to petty jealousy and drunken arguments. In Annie's (Kristen Wiig) case, everyone around her has everything she wants. Bridesmaids flawlessly takes us through the roller coaster ride which is Annie's life.

We begin with the announcement of best friend Lillian's (Maya Rudolph) engagement and Annie's appointment as maid of honor. From here on Bridesmaids rolls through the introduction of the remaining bridesmaids, including the soon to be arch nemesis Helen (Rose Byrne), to the planning of the pre wedding events, all while giving us a glimpse of the tragedy that is Annie's life. I feel as though this brief synopsis is both required (in terms of length) and at the same time unfitting. Bridesmaids is simply one of those comedies, akin to movies like the Hangover, that has to be watched to really be appreciated.

It's difficult to tell that this is Kristen Wiig's first screenplay given the seamless integration of both comedy and drama. From the main characters down to the bit parts, every scene and character is well written and clever. My accolades are so many that it is easier to count the negatives and just assume everything else was a home run. My only real complaints are that the introduction is slightly slow as the film builds its base for the drama aspect and that it is indeed, infused with a taste of 'chick flick'. Those objections aside, every guy reading this should go see Bridesmaids. It is not written only for women; I promise you that this comedy is equal opportunity.

If I could say just one thing about Bridesmaids, I would say just wait for the constant references to come. Just like the Hangover, Bridesmaids will be quoted everywhere. "I shit myself. I shit in the street."

Enjoy.

I just got back from seeing Bridesmaids and I have to say that the trailers do not show you what this movie is. In the spirit of one of our esteemed members (the name escapes me), here's a quick review...

Cobra Kevin used to do movie reviews.