PC/MS Server Guru's

TTQ B4U

My company only allows for our OWA connections public or private to stay valid for 5 minutes. Ridiculously short if you ask me. They won't change it on their end either.

That said, is there a way to set up my PC or the browser to continuously ping or the server every 4 minutes so the connection will not time out?

It's a huge PIA as I may click on an email, begin typing a response and then hit send, only to find out the system timed me out and my message is now lost.

Inquiring minds want to know.

do they have VPN where you can just use a native outlook client, not OWA?

They won't allow it on my home PC just my laptop. I don't often use my laptop at home as all I use it for is email.

I like working on my home PC as I have a 30" monitor too.

I just was hoping there's a way or a script or something I could put on my home PC that pings the exchange server to tell it I'm alive. As in every four minutes, check my mail so that would then keep the connection open.

You can use selenium to script a web call for it, or cURL, or about 47 other scripting languages that do web calls.

:yuno: E-N-G-L-I-S-H for us stupid folks. What do I download and place where so that all I do is clicky-clicky it?

If you have your email client open all the time, just change the time interval for checking new email to every 1-2 minutes. There's an auto checking option in Outlook (if you're using it since you said exchange) that will check send a "send/receive" check to the server if you have new mail or not. I have mine set to every 1 minute.

So they disabled the part on OWA (on the login page) where it says check here if this is a private PC and then you're always logged in? What version of OWA? I checked that box for my company and it never times out.

I can check public or private but either case results in the same ridiculously short time out period. IT said their hands are tied, rules....blah blah.

Is it web based? You could use something like VisualWGET to pull a page every few minutes

Will look into it.

If you have your email client open all the time, just change the time interval for checking new email to every 1-2 minutes. There's an auto checking option in Outlook (if you're using it since you said exchange) that will check send a "send/receive" check to the server if you have new mail or not. I have mine set to every 1 minute.

my email client in this case isn't outlook on my laptop. It is the OWA web access system so that I can do email from my home computer.

:yuno: E-N-G-L-I-S-H for us stupid folks. What do I download and place where so that all I do is clicky-clicky it?

Selenium is a nice testing tool that records an action, in your case you will download the Selenium plugin for firefox and record yourself checking your email after you have logged in. Then set it to run every 3 minutes.

The google guys know all about Selenium, just ask them.

Selenium is a nice testing tool that records an action, in your case you will download the Selenium plugin for firefox and record yourself checking your email after you have logged in. Then set it to run every 3 minutes.

Thanks. Will try now!

Okay so how/where do I set it to run every 3 minutes?