Vortec head rocker arm torque

Sam1647545489

hyd. or solid cam?

stock cam when i do it i set to zero lash with the engine off then start it. with it running back it off till it makes noise, then tighten the rocker untill there is no more noise then add 1/2 to 3/4 turn and move on to the next one.

• 2 weeks later...
Remember when you do it to "roll" (are we allowed to say that?) the motor over so that both valves are closed when doing each lobe. While you tighten them down, spin the pushrod with your finger, when you start to feel a bit of resistance take it a 1/4-1/2 turn more and stop. That should be enough to get the motor running. Once it's running adjust them till they stop ticking and you'll be good to go.

Remember when you do it to "roll" (are we allowed to say that?) the motor over so that both valves are closed when doing each lobe. While you tighten them down, spin the pushrod with your finger, when you start to feel a bit of resistance take it a 1/4-1/2 turn more and stop. That should be enough to get the motor running. Once it's running adjust them till they stop ticking and you'll be good to go.

Thats what I was talking about. I did it wrong. I gotta go redo it tomorrow. FML. Boat manifolds gotta come off to get the valve covers off. FUUUUU

Well here is what I did. Post #5 is how I did it.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/sbc-350-valve-lash-73662.html

Got alil noise still so I am goin to take the covers off and start it and get it running and adjust them then. How messy does it get with the covers off?

Best I've found is an old steel cover with 1" holes cut out above every rocker nut. May still have one I made laying around. If not, you just need a $.50 cover and a hole saw.