2012 VW Passat

zeitgeist57

^^^ My understanding is that the lower prices aren't necessarily due to lower quality but rather simpler, sometimes out-dated parts and production. For example, the base model Jetta has drum brakes in the rear. The TDI models tend to be on par with the more "sportier" gasoline models and therefore come with all the ammenities that you would expect out of a modern motor carriage. The price difference between them and the very basic base models reflects that.

Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong on that though.

reviewers are saying the new jetta is lower quality than previous years, hence the lower price. passat might be the same?

I will agree with that statement. I have driven many Jetta's over the years as rental cars. The worst is the new Jetta. Very cheap looking and sounding. Hell it doesn't even come with cruise control standard!

^^^ My understanding is that the lower prices aren't necessarily due to lower quality but rather simpler, sometimes out-dated parts and production. For example, the base model Jetta has drum brakes in the rear. The TDI models tend to be on par with the more "sportier" gasoline models and therefore come with all the ammenities that you would expect out of a modern motor carriage. The price difference between them and the very basic base models reflects that.

Disclaimer: I could be completely wrong on that though.

I took my '00 Passat to Dent Wizard to look at a couple of dings, and the owner went on and on how big of a pain in the ass VW/Audis are to take apart. I believe him, since I had to replace a window regulator and the door panel had like 6 layers of insulation underneath it. Plus, a lot of the small fasteners are one-time, specially designed jobbies that I didn't have to replace. Oh well...

I heard that the new Jetta uses 40% fewer parts (:eek:, mostly clips and small assemblies now integrated in the new model) making it simpler to assemble. While it does cheapen the interior, it makes the whole car a lot easier to build and service, at the expense of some teutonic feel...

I took my '00 Passat to Dent Wizard to look at a couple of dings, and the owner went on and on how big of a pain in the ass VW/Audis are to take apart. I believe him, since I had to replace a window regulator and the door panel had like 6 layers of insulation underneath it. Plus, a lot of the small fasteners are one-time, specially designed jobbies that I didn't have to replace. Oh well...

I heard that the new Jetta uses 40% fewer parts (:eek:, mostly clips and small assemblies now integrated in the new model) making it simpler to assemble. While it does cheapen the interior, it makes the whole car a lot easier to build and service, at the expense of some teutonic feel...

The Passat is also the upscale model in their line.

It keeps the 4 wheel independent suspension, 4 wheel disc ect.

I think a DSG TDI Passat would make a great DD!

Perfect if not for lack of AWD. :yuno:

agreed, i changed a headlight bulb on a new beetle for a girl i was having relations with. it was a major PITA. i had to take out the entire headlight assembly to change the fucking bulb.

Ruh roh...TDI with a six-speed manual? 42MPG????????????? I get paid $0.49/mi thru work? :) Practically pays for itself!!!

Do. Want.

Sounds awesome until diesel hits $20.58 a gallon :masturboy:

And seriously guys, the Aztek is the ugliest car. So ugly, I don't want to post a picture.