subaru owners

Major_golf

is it a law that you have to rev your engine and slip your clutch every time you take off from a stop. for those of you that haven't noticed this they rev 2 to 3 times every time they start to move. can someone explain this please

my thoughts

1- they are all ricers

2- they are gay

3- they cant drive a Manuel trans / drive at all

any other ideas?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also if my center diff were to malfunction, my AWD will work just like a Subaru's.

Explain. A center diff moves power from front to rear, yes no? I know the Subaru transmissions (the ones I've had) only distribute power from front to rear and not really side to side..

When I have a bad coil/spark plug and my car runs and sounds like shit, it sounds just like a Subaru :fuuuu:

Also if my center diff were to malfunction, my AWD will work just like a Subaru's.

So subaru = broken audi

Explain. A center diff moves power from front to rear, yes no? I know the Subaru transmissions (the ones I've had) only distribute power from front to rear and not really side to side..

They have a 50/50 torque split, it doesn't change, with the exception of STi's. Symmetrical AWD.

So subaru = broken audi

This

There are a lot more Subaru's out there than people think :lolguy:

Hes talking about the fact that most Subaru diff's dont control where the power goes at all, its just 50/50, or 45/55 depending on who you get in an argument with. Most electronic diffs, including Audi's apparently, default to 50/50 when stuff breaks.

Most electronic diffs, including Audi's apparently, default to 50/50 when stuff breaks.

Honestly I don't know if it defaults to 50/50 I'm just assuming it. BTW Audi's center diff is mechanical, it's a Torsen...real basic stuff.

http://www.gmpperformance.com/CFJFiles/GMP/9825_b.jpg

Now the latest Quattro that's in the RS5 is a Crown Gear

http://www.awdwiki.com/images/audi-crown-gear-differential.jpg

That doesn't even make sense.. so you're saying if the front wheels start slipping, a subaru just plain throws 50% of the power to the rear?

It doesn't move power anywhere. Its always half front, half back. STi's being the exception, of course. Now what the front and rear diff's do with that power is a whole other discussion.

I also wouldn't want your car if you paid me to take it. Real talk :dumb:

I don't remember asking you if you wanted it but hey I don't remember what I ate for dinner. Opinions are like assholes every one has one it just happens to be your an asshole with an opinion

I somehow picked up the habit of bringing the engine right down to the point of stall when I ease off the line. Not sure why, but you'll see the nose drop then pick up when I drive. I need to stop doing that.

Per the 2-rev thing, I don't see it a lot at the subaru meets. I know I do it sometimes however just to get the car rolling. But I try not to slip the clutch too much. Also, keep in mind that with an AWD system, you can't chip the tires to relieve driveline shock like you can in a 2WD car. So you have to drive with that in mind.

As for Audi-vs-Subaru, I'd rather the ease of working on a Subaru, lower repair costs, and diffs that are actually LSDs rather than using the brakes to emulate them. And I couldn't care less about having a great interior over a good interior. But that argument's been covered countless times already.

diffs that are actually LSDs rather than using the brakes to emulate them

I'm with you on this, both vehicles I own now work this way. I must say though I have never noticed the difference when I went from my 3000GT with a LSD to the S4, and when I went from my Disco 2 to the LR3. I'd still prefer having the mechanical LSD though.

My clutch is engaged about 1200 rpm so I don't know what you are talking about. My wife's clutch made it to 108 thousand and still wasn't slipping, I had it replaced because I didn't want her to get stranded somewhere with 2 kids. Mine did a track day (12.90 with a 1.7 60ft) at 94k miles before she was killed on 270.

One would think a Harley or sport bike had no ability to idle.