1997 Subaru Outback A/C problem

Drewhop

The car A/C has never worked. The pump is ok. Have had it checked. The problem is that there is a relay or pressure switch of some sort is bad. What would be the best way to diagnose this. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the A/C system on a 1997 Subaru OUtback with 2.5 in it.

My mechanic checked the pump if you run power directly to it the pump will kick on.

Any help or pointing me in right direction would be great.

Well, no real "scientific" way of going about it, but unplug the switch from the harness, and stick a piece of wire in the harness to jump the AC clutch. This will help eliminate the switch as a failure point. I've had quite a few various cabin switches go bad on me from around this era.

Well, no real "scientific" way of going about it, but unplug the switch from the harness, and stick a piece of wire in the harness to jump the AC clutch. This will help eliminate the switch as a failure point. I've had quite a few various cabin switches go bad on me from around this era.

That was what I was thinking I just didnt know if there was a better test method lol.

That was what I was thinking I just didnt know if there was a better test method lol.

You might want to use a multimeter or test light to figure out what is 12v and what is ground, though. Just to prevent any surprise sparking/fuse blowing.

I can give you a print out here at the shop, if you swing by. I'm in Columbus though.

Before you delve into the wiring stuff I have posted below, I am assuming that your air conditioning system is fully charged at this point. The compressor will not come on if there is not enough refridgerant in the system. Once you know or have verifed that it is indeed charged fully, then we can assume that you have a wiring issue.

Hopefully you have a test light.

First Check all your fuses, according to the wiring diagram I am looking at for your car, there are 6 relays that pertain to the a/c circuit. Make sure the key is "on" when you check them. 1 of them is hot in the "on" position. The other 5 are hot at all times.

I am looking at the diagram. First, start the car, turn the a/c on. Un-plug the connector at the a/c compressor should be a yellow, yellow/green, and red/white wire. See if there is power at the yellow/green wire. This should be a no if your mechanic had to power the compressor himself.

Next pull the A/C relay, with the A/C "on", a simple test once you pull it out, set it back in and see if you hear/feel it click. There should be power on 1 of the terminals, you probably won't be able to see the wire colors. If it does not click, you can try jumpering power from the power terminal to a terminal that does not have power attempting to hit the wire that runs to the compressor (yellow/green). This is essentially bypassing the relay.

If you cannot do the above a simple "trick" is to pull a relay that has the same part number on it as long as it is for an accessory not being used such as a wiper relay, or head light relay and plug in a "known good" relay.

See where that gets you.

I can give you a print out here at the shop, if you swing by. I'm in Columbus though.

Before you delve into the wiring stuff I have posted below, I am assuming that your air conditioning system is fully charged at this point. The compressor will not come on if there is not enough refridgerant in the system. Once you know or have verifed that it is indeed charged fully, then we can assume that you have a wiring issue.

Hopefully you have a test light.

First Check all your fuses, according to the wiring diagram I am looking at for your car, there are 6 relays that pertain to the a/c circuit. Make sure the key is "on" when you check them. 1 of them is hot in the "on" position. The other 5 are hot at all times.

I am looking at the diagram. First, start the car, turn the a/c on. Un-plug the connector at the a/c compressor should be a yellow, yellow/green, and red/white wire. See if there is power at the yellow/green wire. This should be a no if your mechanic had to power the compressor himself.

Next pull the A/C relay, with the A/C "on", a simple test once you pull it out, set it back in and see if you hear/feel it click. There should be power on 1 of the terminals, you probably won't be able to see the wire colors. If it does not click, you can try jumpering power from the power terminal to a terminal that does not have power attempting to hit the wire that runs to the compressor (yellow/green). This is essentially bypassing the relay.

If you cannot do the above a simple "trick" is to pull a relay that has the same part number on it as long as it is for an accessory not being used such as a wiper relay, or head light relay and plug in a "known good" relay.

See where that gets you.

Have been pretty busy this weekend. Boss is on Vacation so I get to run the show at work.

I am bringing the car into work tomorrow and going to try what you posted above.