Some Advice

codyh

This weekend im planning a photo shoot with my buddies silver Slammed Acura TL type-S.

I took photography class last semester, and during the fall and early winter I took alot of pics. But winter is over, summer is starting and I have yet to start taking pics again. And my amateur status is rusty. :(

So I was planning on taking pics this weekend sometime at dusk, I wanted to take some just normal shots from some "unique" angles, and then I wanted to try and tackle some rolling shots. Which Im super excited about.

The camera I am using is a Canon EOS D60. I have the stock 35-105MM lens and then I have a 70-200MM lens I would like to use.

What is some of your advice for taking still shots at around dusk, as in apeture, shutter speed, etc etc.

And then the same question for taking rolling shots. I hope to be going about 35 MPH or maybe slower. What should I make my shutter speed and apeture etc etc??

This weekend im planning a photo shoot with my buddies silver Slammed Acura TL type-S.

I took photography class last semester, and during the fall and early winter I took alot of pics. But winter is over, summer is starting and I have yet to start taking pics again. And my amateur status is rusty. :(

So I was planning on taking pics this weekend sometime at dusk, I wanted to take some just normal shots from some "unique" angles, and then I wanted to try and tackle some rolling shots. Which Im super excited about.

The camera I am using is a Canon EOS D60. I have the stock 35-105MM lens and then I have a 70-200MM lens I would like to use.

What is some of your advice for taking still shots at around dusk, as in apeture, shutter speed, etc etc.

And then the same question for taking rolling shots. I hope to be going about 35 MPH or maybe slower. What should I make my shutter speed and apeture etc etc??

Stay low or go high. Typical car snapshots that everyone always takes are from a standing position. Not nearly as interesting as getting low. Think of it from the viewpoint of a 3yr old. Getting up on a ladder or higher up and taking shots down onto the roof/hood get interesting too. Especially when framing against a cool backdrop or in a group setting.

What brand is the 70-200? Could be some big win there if it's a Canon branded lens.

Use aperture priority and shoot with a shallow DOF i.e f/2.8 or whatever low point your lens will support. Use a tripod to help stabilize the lens and gain better composition. Don't rush the shots.

Rolling shots can be done at any speed. Honestly, I do most of mine at very low speeds as motion blur and shutter speeds are easier to control when going slow.

Twist the camera but don't overdue it. Interesting things can happen when you frame shots on an angle. Get some close ups too. Best thing to do is surf around for some examples to get some ideas.

Have fun and post back the shots for some feedback.

Ok will do... I know about 95% of them will be throw aways. X)

What shutter speed do you suggest for rolling shots at say 30 MPH

1/160th very likely. Will give you nice background blur as you pan. We can add some cool motion effects later should we deem the shot worth of a faster look. IS Mode 2 on the 70-200 which allows you to pan sideways. Together with a decent technique you will get some pretty sharp poster quality shots.

Is that shutter speed (for the most part) fast enough to the point where i wont have to use anything to really stabilize it from moving??? Edited by codyh