Pontiac GTP guru's come.

Scotty2Hotty

So we got an 05' GTP Comp G. She's getting up towards 90K now, it'll need some service done. I did the tranny fluid, filter, and a thermostat about 4K miles ago. Here's a small laundry list of parts I plan to replace:

Meziere electric water pump

ZZ performance cat back

NGK plugs w/ MSD wires

Check out the CV axles

Bilsteins on all 4 corners.

K&N CAI

My question is, is the Catted down pipe worth it? Also, instead of changing the blower oil, I was debating on just replacing the entire MP90 unit. Anybody have a ported stock blower or just a replacement unit? Is there an intercooler set up like the MP112's? Do I need to have the car tuned for a ported blower?

This is a DD, but I wouldn't mind throwing a little more down to the ground and have it run a little cooler in these 100 degree days we get.

the electric water pump is only worth the money if you plan to race the car in some way. i have one on the bird and it doesnt keep the car any cooler than the stock, just nice to be able to turn it on to cool the car while its off.

Figured it would atleast be a little more effecient being an electric water pump.

Figured it would atleast be a little more effecient being an electric water pump.

idk about that, i mean i think its rated to flow a little better than a stock one and it might be worth an extra 5 hp, but i still personally wouldnt waste the money if its going to be a daily. not to mention they have to be rebuilt after a while.

I believe elec water pumps are slightly less reliable than the belt drive ones...

Anyway, FLUSH the coolant, then flush it again! :) that dexcool stuff gums up, i hateed it. Switch to the yellow stuff.

From what I remember on my 04 comp-g, a cat back can sound good on these cars if done right, ask nurkvinny how he likes it :) . The real hold back for performance is all in the manifolds though, the stock exhaust after the stock manifolds actually flows pretty good. I'd also add the fuel filter to your list of maintenance, easy cheap insurance.

i'd skip the idea of an intercooler and spend the money on some good headers if you want it to run cooler and make more power, but yes they are available and allow you to run a smaller pulley and more boost while keeping intake temps low enough to not knock.

So we got an 05' GTP Comp G. She's getting up towards 90K now, it'll need some service done. I did the tranny fluid, filter, and a thermostat about 4K miles ago. Here's a small laundry list of parts I plan to replace:

Meziere electric water pump

ZZ performance cat back

NGK plugs w/ MSD wires

Check out the CV axles

Bilsteins on all 4 corners.

K&N CAI

My question is, is the Catted down pipe worth it? Also, instead of changing the blower oil, I was debating on just replacing the entire MP90 unit. Anybody have a ported stock blower or just a replacement unit? Is there an intercooler set up like the MP112's? Do I need to have the car tuned for a ported blower?

This is a DD, but I wouldn't mind throwing a little more down to the ground and have it run a little cooler in these 100 degree days we get.

-I wouldn't put an electric pump on it.

-Expensive cat back. The stock GTP exhaust is good for 400 hp

-Get autlolite 104's (if putting a smaller pulley on).. if not put 605's in. MSD wires suck on these cars. Either get stock AC delco's or spend $30 and get some autolite wires with a lifetime warranty

Yes, the catted DP is worth it if you plan on putting smaller pulley on. I would sell you mine but I'm selling it tomorrow for $90 shipped.

Don't worry about an MP112.. not even remotely worth it on these cars for the price. You get either port your own s/c or get one from ZZP.. but their pricey. Since you have a Gen5 blower, I wouldn't worry about changing/porting it.

Just my .02.

Since you have a Gen5 blower, I wouldn't worry about changing/porting it.

Just my .02.

+1 Ur stock Gen 5 M90 will flow just as good if not better than the best ported Gen 3 blowers that us 97-03 guys have. But if you insist I'll gladly trade you my ported Gen 3 for your Gen 5

I agree with about everything already said. I wouldnt waste my money on anything ZZP but thats personal preference speaking. If you're going to be buying things I would keep an eye out on the for sale section on clubgp. You can find about anything on there if you dont mind buying used.

A tune would also help.

I get cost on K&N, MSD, NGK etc... Only reason I was going to slap those parts on. I figured since it'll need some service done here sooner than later, might aswell toss the performance goodies on it. I looked at the ClubGP thread last night and there was a nice bit of info. I threw ZZP out there since they always seem to pop up. I'm not too crazy about the stock tips, so that's about the only reason I debated a cat back set up. Thanks again for the heads up.

The only thing that would be in concern with the blower is the coupler. If you hear rattling on the blower it's that. You can take off the belt and wiggle the pulley on the s/c and if you can hear it knock or has any play in it it's the coupler. Other than that you can change the s/c oil. It's around $20 for two bottles from the stealership.

As for the ZZP comment.. I will come back with.. I wouldn't buy anything from Intense.. just because of personal preference :).

If you're not crazy about the tips you could just take off the stockers and replace them. That's what I'd do If I had a GP.

It all depends on how far you want to go with the car. If you just want to keep it a DD, then leave it alone or do MINOR things to it. Once you start getting smaller pulleys and upgrading this and that. next thing you know you be wanting an intercooler and a 2.8 pulley running 12's. :)

Is there a Gen 5 rebuild kit? I figured after 90K, the internals could be replaced. Not looking to run 12's (granted, a low 14/high 13 would be ideal).

They don't need rebuilt often at all. GM considers them a nonservicable part.

mines got 170,000 and no problems at all. Except a leaking snout seal but that's an easy fix.