Escape Stalls When in Gear

Bark

Ive just started having an issue with my ford escape where it will stall out when I put it in gear or come to a stop while in gear. It does not stall when in Park or Neutral and revs freely without a hiccup. When I put it in gear I have to brake torque it to prevent it from stalling out on me. I noticed it only does it when the engine is warm though, it will drive normally on a cold start.

I thought it might be a vacuum leak but could not locate any leaks whatsoever. Ive checked the air filter, plugs, and cleaned the MAF with no luck. I highly doubt the fuel filter would cause this although I have no idea how long the filter has been on the car. The only other thing I can think of would be an IACV or possibly the MAP sensor. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with a similar issue? Its an 06 escape 4cyl 4wd 100k.

the downstream hose on the DPFE sensor is disconnected or clogged up. A common problem on these is the catalytic converter gets plugged up (causing driveability problems), and the excessive heat melts the hose and sometimes the DPFE sensor itself.

This sensor is a small unit that slips onto two hoses and has an electrical connector. Very easy to replace. Remove it and inspect it for damage (melted housing or hose), and if no problem is noticed, replace it. I highly recommend a MOTORCRAFT part, as the aftermarkets are hit-or-miss on this part.

If it is damaged, you'll want to replace the catalytic converters before replacing it, as the new one will get damaged as well.

Good luck!