Entry Level DSLR

Allblack02

I've taken a couple photography classes, and just simply love to take great pics. I have an old old P&S that needs replaced, so I figured I would invest into something nice. What would you recommend as a good entry level DSLR camera? I've talked to a couple of people and it looks like a T2i is a good choice but I figured I would get some more opinions.

Appreciate it!

I'm Canon Biased. What's your budget? Keep in mind the body is just a body, if you budget for cheap glass, you'll get a great body with cheap glass. More later.

Give me an idea on what you're looking to shoot.

I dont have experience with them and honestly dont know much about some of the other DSLR cameras. But I have been looking at some of the Pentax cameras and they seem to offer a lot of good features for a new photographer. I dont know how reliable or what kind of lense options they offer.

I dont have experience with them and honestly dont know much about some of the other DSLR cameras. But I have been looking at some of the Pentax cameras and they seem to offer a lot of good features for a new photographer. I dont know how reliable or what kind of lense options they offer.

Don't know too much about them but for the money they have come a long way. I think they are much more of an option today than even just a few years ago. I only am such a Canon fan boy because they have the some of the best optics in their lenses, the fastest lens choices in a wider variety of selections. Pricing has leveled off, so they no longer have the best prices but they do still have the widest selection.

I'm looking around the $850 - 900 range. I'm a sucker for moving shots, i.e cars, animals, etc..

Other than that, just your typical car guy photos. Different scenes with buildings, outside, you know..

Bump your budget up about $500 and you'll be golden. Otherwise, you're good but you'll have some compromises in place. Nothing you can't overcome though. The 18-200 is one of the better consumer lenses that will cover a great focal length range allowing for the above. It's got good focus speed but not the fastest, but still will work.

There are more options, but I'm giving you one that I feel is best for the above dollars. I've shot with the 18-200 too. There are some optical distortion issues on most inexpensive mid range zoom lenses in that price point, but the good news is 99% of the world would never know. You can also pre-program some bodies and definitely the software to correct them.

Straight from camera using my 50D and Canon's 18-200mm

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/110756935/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/132425453/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/timothylauro/image/132425451/original.jpg

I'll be able to invest more in lenses in the future, but am looking mostly for the body right now. I see a lot of "kits" come with an 18-55mm lens. I was considering just buying the body and picking up a 18-200 for moving shots then possibly upgrading in the next couple of months.

I'll be able to invest more in lenses in the future, but am looking mostly for the body right now. I see a lot of "kits" come with an 18-55mm lens. I was considering just buying the body and picking up a 18-200 for moving shots then possibly upgrading in the next couple of months.

Good combo on the Canon front. It's a lens I would keep and use on vacations vs lugging around my larger heavier pro lenses. $550 and 1.5lbs vs my 28-300mm L at $2,500 and close to 4lbs.

Good combo on the Canon front. It's a lens I would keep and use on vacations vs lugging around my larger heavier pro lenses. $550 and 1.5lbs vs my 28-300mm L at $2,500 and close to 4lbs.

Good point. I never thought of it that way.