$5k car

AudiOn19s

As title states, looking for suggestions for the most reliable transportation that you can buy for 5k.

Have to buy something for my mother-in-law and don't even know where to start. I have access to buy wholesale to make the money go further.

Thinking maybe the newest Kia, haundai or Suzuki I can find???

Only requirement is cheap, economical and reliable.

Andy

How bout Honda, Toyota, or Nissan? My cousin just got a "new Kia" and it had more problems during the first two years than I've had with any 10+ year old honda. Im sure not all of them are like that but you can't hardly go wrong with a the big three outta Asia either...

Good and reliable is NOT hyundai, kia, or suzuki..

But a honda or toyota.. nothing else is as reliable as those..

Im kind of biased because I work for toyota direct.. but I see those cars with 300k miles.. do regular maint and they run forever..

you guys obviously have never driven newer hyundais or kias

i had a 2003 elantra i bought brand new, beat the piss out of it, and it still ran like a champ...only issues i had was something i caused by trying to mess with it...hail storm in 06 totalled it out

bought another one in 07, used with 57k miles, and just 6k after i bought it, a rod snapped and blew holes in the block...i dont know what kind of maintenence the previous owner did, so im not going to blame it on hyundai

got an 02 kia now that just wont die, no mater what i do...part of the reason i still have it is that i have a hard time getting rid of a car that wont give me a reason to.

So, my other worry in this is that I'm on the hook for maintenance too. I'm somewhat scared of high mileage cars as a result. (Yes this is coming from someone who drives a 200k mile car as a daily driver...I can't fix her car in florida when it breaks though). I guess that's why I was looking at the stuff I was looking at because it seems you can buy like a '07 Rio with < 100k miles on it in that price range through the sale.

If we go any higher money wise I'd have to finance something for her...and if I'm goign that route I'll go buy a base model Haundai Accent for $12,500 knowing it gets me a brand new car that costs me very little if nothing in the way of maintenance in the short term as everything is new and the car has warranty coverage. Hell maybe I can even find left over 2011's now that the '12's are coming out and get an even better deal?

I'm no good at shopping for cars that I'm not passionate about, no fun at all.

I Hate to say it but my mom bought the base line ion new in 03 when they first came out. Only about 11k out the door ( we also got the gm discount though) And it has iirc 130k on it and has been a champ. I drove the piss out of that car and the only thing it needed outside of regular maint was the a/c condensor and that lasted 129k miles so I was really inpressed and its all about how the car was kept up with no matter what car it is.

and you can probably find a higher mileage ion stioll sub 100k in that price range and good news is that 2.2eco motor is semi cheap if you ever had any problems with it but they are strong great little motors.