Those who are self employed/ ind. contractor

gaewsky1

I am recently self employed and know I can use mileage as a tax deduction. For those of you who do this do I need to keep track of both personal and business related trips in my mileage notebook I keep in the car?

Say I take the kids to swimming lessons and bring my laptop to work while they take the lesson is that mileage deducted too?

I've also read that if I need to go somewhere not business related I could make a stop at the post office or bank (for work related stuff) and then deduct the whole trip as business.

Am I correct? Any other tips to get the most out of this tax write-off? I plan on leasing a vehicle soon can I write off my leased vehicle along with car related expenses (insurance, maintenance) in the percentage I use the car for work?

Thanks in advance for the replies:megusta:

This isn't just for self employed. I work for a company and drive to things all the time. If I drive from my house to Staples to pick up supplies, that's a work trip. You should take note of the starting and stopping mileage and purpose of the trip, in a log. If you do that, you are bullet-proof if you get audited. If you just guess, you will get f'd. But yes, any trip can be a business trip and you can claim 51 cents per mile.

But yes, any trip can be a business trip and you can claim 51 cents per mile.

Almost. Only trips beyond your normal commute. If you have your house set as your main office, you can do this. If you have an actual office, you cannot claim the commute from your house to your office.

I am recently self employed and know I can use mileage as a tax deduction. For those of you who do this do I need to keep track of both personal and business related trips in my mileage notebook I keep in the car?

Yes,they will total your total mileage deduct a % for pleasure and give you 47 cents a mile for business and you have your deduction.