Removing painted on Pinstriping

schmuckingham

Picked up a new ride and it has horrible pin striping on it thats hand painted on ( done prefessionally and probably not cheap but it doesnt suit me.) The had done the same on the hood and I removed it with some OOOOPS sticker remover but it took forever and my arm fell off.

What can i use thats a little more aggressive but wont eat my clear?

You can very carefully wetsand it off then buff the paint back. I did it to a factory painted on pinstripe on a friend's '06 Civic a few years ago. I believe I used 2000, but it could've been 1500 grit.

Serious

It's most likely lacquer paint, so the thinner should take it off. I'd test a small area first and go easy on the thinner though. Don't go crazy with the thinner and it shouldn't do any damage to the clear coat. Obviously you should wax it afterwards.

If it's good pin striping then it's going to be sign paint (such as 1 shot).

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2908628

Another forum talking about striping removal, lots of helpful hints and tips in there.

Pics of said pin striping just for shits and giggles?

If it's good pin striping then it's going to be sign paint (such as 1 shot).

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2908628

Another forum talking about striping removal, lots of helpful hints and tips in there.

Pics of said pin striping just for shits and giggles?

Ill try some of those

and no, pics will not be provided

I use thinner to take off any painted on pin stripe. It will not hurt the clear. Ziebart uses thinner to detail cars.

If you soak a rag in thinner and leave it on the car, thats a different story. It will haze the clear.

Paint thinner worked great on Friday for the 3/4 of the car I got to do! However the last 1/4 is a completely different story and I am using the same thinner and towels as before.

Alrighty, they are off and it looks great ( only a three tiny spots that wont come off). I had to use a little combination of elements to get them off. I used Easy Off oven cleaner to soften the stripes up in a two application process. DO NOT leave the EZ Off on the paint for more than 4 minutes or it will make things hazy or worse. I then used some paint thinner and a terry cloth towel and the stripes came right off. I then washed everything down with windex to neutralize the EZ Off and then polished and waxed the spots I scrubbed on.

The spots that wont come off are right were the front fender and door meet on the drivers side, I didnt want to get too aggressive and burn the corner or anything.