School me on headunits

acklac7

So my pioneer DEH-???? shorted out a few days ago (smoking n shit) and now im in the market for a new unit. Would like to get one that I can hook up to my IPOD via USB. Sort of confused as to which one to get, some have usb ports but make no mention of IPODS, other (more expensive units) have USB ports and say "IPOD compatible" or "Built for IPOD". Whats the difference:confused: Will any usb-enabled deck dectect my IPOD via usb or do I need one of the "IPOD Authorized" units??

It really depends on what you want as an end result.

1. USB inputs.......The radio basically just has an aux. input for any music player to feed sound through the radio. This way is efective and usually less expensive but very basic.

You cannot control the ipods tracks, folders, pause, play etc. this way.

2. Built for ipod...... The radio will not only play the music on your ipod and in some cases video as well but you will have full control of the ipod. With this feature present you simply plug in the ipod and use the display and controls on the radio to control the ipod. This way will usually cost you a bit more but the ability to not have to fumble around or look at the ipod at all is very nice to have. Each brand and level of radio will offer different controls and displays so go somewhere that has them on display and finger the hell out of the radios before deciding. Be sure to check that the radio you choose charges and plays the ipod. Some lower end models will only do one or the other. If you get a radio with a remote control you should also be able to control the ipod from it.

3. The best thing anybody can tell you is to take your time and physically checkout each radio before deciding. Ipod controls can be a major pain in the @#$ if you get the wrong radio. Id be more than willing to help with questions, suggestions or whatever. Feel free to hit me up anytime. I worked in car audio for over ten years so ive pretty much seen it all.

Id have to know who makes that Parrot radio before id consider it. It looks like a really cool idea though but who produces it will make all the difference. I couldnt really tell from the video but it looks like dual or jensen. Most of the time when stuff like that comes out theres a major electronics manufacturer behind it and its not Parrot, I can assure you of that.

USB is the suck. Get one that controls the iPod. Pioneer sells units that control iPods with some that will control iPhones as well.

I have a Premier DEH-980BT and just keep a old 20GB iPod in my Avalanche as basically a portable hard drive, and use the head unit to control it - works well, and have been doing it for years. I also stream Bluetooth audio, such as Pandora, to the unit as well. The mobile phone part of the Bluetooth is so-so, but works.

USB is the suck. Get one that controls the iPod. Pioneer sells units that control iPods with some that will control iPhones as well.

I have a Premier DEH-980BT and just keep a old 20GB iPod in my Avalanche as basically a portable hard drive, and use the head unit to control it - works well, and have been doing it for years. I also stream Bluetooth audio, such as Pandora, to the unit as well. The mobile phone part of the Bluetooth is so-so, but works.

This

Don't get a Kenwood, my old Explorer had one and though it was very good, it had a hard time working in cold weather and the interface was counterintuitive.

This

Don't get a Kenwood, my old Explorer had one and though it was very good, it had a hard time working in cold weather and the interface was counterintuitive.

Huh, I was going to say just the opposite about Kenwood. I bought a new Excelon model for my truck about 6 months ago (got stolen and I replaced it with the same one) and I really love it. I have a jump drive with a lot of music on it that I plug into the usb port most of the time and I couldn't be happier. I've never had an Ipod so I really don't know anything about that. I've also had 4-5 different Pioneer head units over the years all of which worked good, but the Kenwood is much nicer then anything Pioneer has out right, especially in the $200-$250 price range.

Just my 2 cents, take it or leave it.

Id have to know who makes that Parrot radio before id consider it. It looks like a really cool idea though but who produces it will make all the difference. I couldnt really tell from the video but it looks like dual or jensen. Most of the time when stuff like that comes out theres a major electronics manufacturer behind it and its not Parrot, I can assure you of that.

Parrot is the company who makes it. They make a lot of quality products, but brand awareness is mostly overseas. Actually, if I am not mistaken, they just got into the head unit game, with an iphone head unit before this. Based on all the techy website reviews, and a strong past from Parrot products, I will be buying one.

Kenwoods seem decent enough. I put one in the Sea Ray around 2001, and it is still working strong. CD didn't skip even over the hardest chop, which is uber important on a boat.

Kenwood's Navigation units use Garmin, which is a nice plus. Their single DIN stuff doesn't look nearly as nice as other makers.