1997 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd

Ziggy1647545504

I have a bad transmission in a really solid truck. I've been looking online at http://www.car-part.com for used trannys, and have come across a few for $500-$600. I'm realtively certain I can handle a trans swap in my driveway, but I've never done it before. Can anyone help me out with a step by step? Transmission shop told me $1500-$1800 to rebuild and I can't afford that.

Not a tough job on a 2wd truck. I've got a HF tranny jack if you need to borrow one...

EDIt: just realized you're north on cincy. I did a TC/flexplate replacement on my 82 chevy, it's a straightforward remove and replace job, but with big components...disconnect linkages, lines, and bolts, move exhaust if necessary, drop driveshaft, remove inspection cover to disconnect flex plate bolts, drop old tranny, reverse to reinstall.

My 1500 I sold had a bad trans when I bought it, those trucks are notorious for that. I found one from a roll over being parted for 250 that claimed to have been rebuilt it was a very simple job

Take out torque converter bolts

Drop exhaust

Remove starter

Remove driveshaft

Remove trans crossmember and support trans with a jack

Disconnect linkage at trans

Remove bellhousing bolts

Remove transmission

With hand tools you could easily do this on your back in a day. Change the fluid and filter and be on your way