Shawn Jones...professional amateur autocross racer.

FourString

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am kicking myself for not remembering my camcorder, next time though. If jonsey can make it we'll get in car of that for sure!(if the camera can handle that monster launch!)

Yeah no kidding, the way that car launches is incredible. Everything hurt off of the line. lol

http://www.ovr-scca.org/uploads/ax_results/2011/05_fin_2011-06-26.htm

There are the results....look for "FS" where Jones ran, he clicked off that blazing 49.4 to win his class!! What I noticed is my car would be legal for STX class with cats and if it were I'd be killing it in that class, might have to send back the x-pipe I just ordered for one that would let me back in STX....hehehe.

This sounds like a lot of fun. I have always wanted to participate in one of these.

DOOO EEEET!

Honestly, any of us that AutoX would be MORE than happy to help you out with getting started. It's really easy to get into.

Goto http://www.motorsportreg.com plug in your zip and hit search. The local region is the Ohio Valley Region. Then just make an account and register. You don't even have to pay online for most events. Just skip payment and pay on-site.

I'd be happy to give pointers on pre-event prep and how it all works. And this goes for everyone. It doesn't matter what you drive, as long as it has a low CG (no big SUVs or lifted trucks), and isn't leaving trails of fluid or parts behind it. :) Come on out and dodge some cones with us!

Since my car will be engine swapped to a 2.7T would I be put in as a S4 or as a A4 with lots of mods? Car is a 2003 A4 5-speed and will be going catless downpipes 2.7TT 5-speed.

I'm a little fuzzy on AutoX classing, but I think you'll end way up in Prepared. Being competitive in AutoX usually means either restrained modding, or balls-to-the-wall "because racecar" modding. It just depends on what class you want to end up in. But the absolute best mod is seat time. Just show up and drive. The more you drive, the better you become.

Remember, a fast driver can make a slow car go fast, but a fast car can't make a slow driver go fast. There were some really hot cars out there, including a Viper, this weekend that were being schooled by Miatas and Neons.

I'd love to try AutoX sometime. It looks like an absolute blast.

Come out and play. There's even a Ford Ranger that shows up sometimes and lays some impressive times.

I'm a little fuzzy on AutoX classing, but I think you'll end way up in Prepared. Being competitive in AutoX usually means either restrained modding, or balls-to-the-wall "because racecar" modding. It just depends on what class you want to end up in. But the absolute best mod is seat time. Just show up and drive. The more you drive, the better you become.

Remember, a fast driver can make a slow car go fast, but a fast car can't make a slow driver go fast. There were some really hot cars out there, including a Viper, this weekend that were being schooled by Miatas and Neons.

Come out and play. There's even a Ford Ranger that shows up sometimes and lays some impressive times.

I might. I doubt the s10 will do anything even worth mentioning. Automatic and an open diff certainly wont help. Can still dream of nice times out of a truck though!:masturboy:

I am kicking myself for not remembering my camcorder, next time though. If jonsey can make it we'll get in car of that for sure!(if the camera can handle that monster launch!)

It can handle it.

Jones, what class did you run in?

He was in FStock.

he clicked off that blazing 49.4 to win his class!!

heh.

This sounds like a lot of fun. I have always wanted to participate in one of these.

I'd love to try AutoX sometime. It looks like an absolute blast.

Come on out guys! The next one is on July 9th.

I might. I doubt the s10 will do anything even worth mentioning. Automatic and an open diff certainly wont help. Can still dream of nice times out of a truck though!:masturboy:

It can happen. I don't see any classifications for S10s, so you might end up in an oddball class. If you try AutoX and REALLY want to compete in an S10, you can ask the SCCA to make an official decision on Classification. The cool thing about AutoX is that as long as the car is safe and won't roll over, you can run it.

And for those that want to play around in the dirt, all of this goes for RallyX also.

For those on the fence, let me tell you from a newb perspective, you won't find a better group of guys willing to give you rides, ride with you, and provide advice and guidance.

There were no snobby uptight buttholes wondering around, just a bunch of guys having fun and helping each other. Regardless of what you drive, you'll have fun and get lots of help.

Come on out guys! The next one is on July 9th.

Not sure I'll have the S10 back by then. :no:

Question. Obviously there are alot of people using tape for the numbers and what not on the side. Any one have issues with it doing anything to the paint?

I ask because when I get my s10 back it will have a super fresh ice cream paint job.

Question. Obviously there are alot of people using tape for the numbers and what not on the side. Any one have issues with it doing anything to the paint?

I ask because when I get my s10 back it will have a super fresh ice cream paint job.

It's that blue painting tape, it leaves no residue. Trust me, I wouldn't apply it if was going to do anything to the paint.

DOOO EEEET!

Honestly, any of us that AutoX would be MORE than happy to help you out with getting started. It's really easy to get into.

Goto http://www.motorsportreg.com plug in your zip and hit search. The local region is the Ohio Valley Region. Then just make an account and register. You don't even have to pay online for most events. Just skip payment and pay on-site.

I'd be happy to give pointers on pre-event prep and how it all works. And this goes for everyone. It doesn't matter what you drive, as long as it has a low CG (no big SUVs or lifted trucks), and isn't leaving trails of fluid or parts behind it. :) Come on out and dodge some cones with us!

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I could dodge a few cones and run a few over at the same time.

It's that blue painting tape, it leaves no residue. Trust me, I wouldn't apply it if was going to do anything to the paint.

+1. But ask your body guy if it's ok so soon. More than likely however, he used the blue or green tape to do your paintjob.

Worst case, hit up an art store and buy some magnetic vinyl and put numbers on a couple panels. Then you can just lay the panels on your doors.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure I could dodge a few cones and run a few over at the same time.

It's all good man. :) Weather you're driving around the cones or grinding them into so much orange and black dust, it's just about having fun.

It's all good man. :)Weather you're driving around the cones or grinding them into so much orange and black dust, it's just about having fun.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gmzIXMMWrsI/TDSgy4fx_vI/AAAAAAAADaQ/eGGZXMSXiKo/s400/WeatherMan_Poster01.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_gmzIXMMWrsI/TDSgy4fx_vI/AAAAAAAADaQ/eGGZXMSXiKo/s400/WeatherMan_Poster01.jpg

Yup, I know. It just didn't look right spelled any other way and my spellcheck wasn't any help. So I figured I'd use a properly spelled incorrect word instead of an incorrectly spelled word. :p

blue painter's tape works great....

Pro Tip if you're super anal, get magnets that you can cut from home vent covers frrom Home Depot..they're made to cover HVAC vents and my roommate uses them as his numbers

other pro tip with painter's tape....before you put it on your car, put it on your clothes and peel it off and then apply on car. this will take away some of the strength of the tape to stick and make removal even less likely to come off with some clear coat....but painter s tape is already very very unlikely to do at full strength anyway