DSM/EVO guys..

dover

I may or may not be looking into buying an Evo. What should I know. Are there free mods I should do? Certain things I should look for or ask about when purchasing an Evo. What are the best bang for the buck mods. Thanks fella's :fa:

Which evo? 8 or 9? Def want to know if all the maintenance has been done, (ie. timing belt, water pump, tranny and diff fluids, etc) Things to watch for is the typical rust on the turbo manifold which will crack from exposure, the rear diff knock, xcase whine.

Good mods depends on goals. I could list a thousand ways to make each level of horsepower on an evo, but it just depends on how balls to the wall you want to be and what the purpose of the car is. If you ever need a timing belt done or cams installed, i have to special tools to do it. Plus ive done a few :)

Fuel pump, injectors, better intercooler, boost controller and a tune and you have 400 or damn near. A slightly larger turbo and you have 450 or so. After that, you will want cams and head studs. Use AMSoil for the gear oil or something good like that, Motul 600 is good brake fluid, and Brad penn synthetic works well with the 4g63s.

Guest Z Fag Jr.
alot of people have issues with the 4g series of motors and crankwalk. Like others have said evo's get beat up on pretty badly I would have issues trusting a car that someone else may have paul walker'd.

evo's dont crankwalk. They have xcase and rear diff problems. And thats not all of them. The cars are easily to make power with and there is nothing special about a evo motor when compared to a dsm.

The dsm 4g's were notorious for it. It seems that it was fixed in the later evo's.

6 bolts hardly EVER crankwalked. No more than any other motor on the market. The early 7 bolts walked then they revised the thrust bearing and it all pretty much went away. The oiling system of the 7 bolts is a terrible design. That was changed as well with the evo 7 bolt motors.

Guest Z Fag Jr.

I did mean the 4g63 motors. They did crankwalk esp the 7 bolt I don't understand why everybody is so butt hurt about it?

I forgot that made a 4th gen that thing is awful.

I did mean the 4g63 motors. They did crankwalk esp the 7 bolt I don't understand why everybody is so butt hurt about it?

The 7bolt crank walked which is why you will always see a 6bolt swapped into the later year 2g dsm.

No one is butthurt, we're just laughing at you because you started talking about crank walk, an issue the Evo 4g63's aren't known for.

Guest Z Fag Jr.

Personally 2

both dsm's both on different coasts with totally different owners. It happens (esp with aftermarket flywheels) thats why it was revised in later versions.

rwdboostcopue thanks.

Btw I'm sorry I'm not a little evo fanboy I remembered that 4g's had a crankwalk issue and brought it up it.

Edited by Z Fag Jr.

Dover, you know I can get you handled on anything knowledge wise in the Evo department. You tell me how much power you want to make and I will give you the most efficient way of getting there. Of course power does not equal a certain time in the quarter. Driving AWD is not as easy as everyone would like to think.