Hows to be a pro

Sturg1647545502

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/events/tour-de-france/4-The-Pros-Have-Great-Training-Tips.html

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/6130/july2011protrainingtips.jpg

As many bike racers will tell you (off the record, at night, under a bridge), blood doping—using transfusions to boost one’s percentage of oxygen-carrying red blood cells—is still the most effective way to gain an edge. Floyd Landis has claimed that he, Lance Armstrong, and other members of U.S. Postal used transfusions during Lance’s string of Tour victories, in part because they’re impossible to detect. (Or were. The World Anti-Doping Agency now has a test that will turn up trace amounts of blood-bag plastic in the body.) We consulted several doctors to show you how it’s done, but we do not suggest you try this at home.

1. Tap a vein.

During the off-season, draw a pint—or several dozen—of your own blood. (Never use a friend’s, which could kill you or raise red flags during a drug test.) Next, add an anticoagulant, such as citrate. Blood bags manufactured by Pall ($15; pall.com) come equipped with 16-gauge needles and are preloaded with anticoagulant.

2. Save it for later.

Freeze your blood to store it.

Put the bags on a Burrell Model AA wrist-action shaker ($1,850; burrellsci.com), then add intravenous-grade glycerol to keep those endurance-boosting red cells from bursting when they freeze.

Store the blood in a liquid-nitrogen freezer ($3,756; bsilab.com) at minus 112 degrees Fahrenheit.

3. Thaw and reinject.

Grab a cold bag and dunk it in a 98.6-degree water bath.

Wash out the glycerol, another potentially lethal and detectable foreign substance, by spinning it off in a Unico large-capacity variable-speed centrifuge ($1,695; medicus-health.com). Reinject your blood over a two-hour period using a gravity drop. Massages and bus breakdowns offer good cover. Side effects include stroke, staph infections, and feigned indignity.

ACCESSORIES

Latex-free tourniquet strips come in a variety of colors. $16 per roll

A Veinlite EMS can help locate hard-to-find blood vessels. $219

Phlebotomy totes conveniently organize your blood-doping supplies. $199

I'm sick of hearing Lance's name in Outside. I've seen 2 articles linked to that site in the last month and they were both about Lance doping. Ya, he was a dopper like every other sissy ass road biker. Ya, we get you don't like him, grow up and fucking get over it. It probably sells magazines to trash him every chance you get.

Backstory

http://outside-blog.away.com/blog/2011/06/lance-armstrong-and-tyler-hamilton-walk-into-a-bar.html#more

http://velonews.competitor.com/2011/06/news/new-york-times-fbi-investigating-armstrong-hamilton-encounter_178549?utm_medium=whats-hot

Lance Armstrong and Tyler Hamilton Walk Into a Bar

By Outside Online

Tyler Hamilton, the Olympic gold medalist who recently confessed to doping and accused Lance Armstrong of using performance-enhancing drugs, spent the weekend leading bike rides for Outside in Aspen, an annual summit we host. Last night, Hamilton went to dinner with friends at Cache Cache [pronounced cash cash], an Italian French restaurant that also happens to be one of Armstrong’s favorite Aspen hangouts. (Armstrong has a home here, but Hamilton thought the seven-time Tour de France winner was out of town.) During dinner, Hamilton left his table to go to the bathroom. As he walked out of the bathroom, an arm blocked his path. It was Armstrong. The two hadn’t spoken since Hamilton’s 60 Minutes appearance.

“He wanted to get into it,” Hamilton told me this morning. “I was like, ‘Let’s step outside and talk away from the crowd, but he wouldn’t. He said, ‘No one cares.’" Then, according to Hamilton, Armstrong began to berate him.

(Armstrong’s version of the encounter is a bit more tame: “I said, ‘Hey, what’s up?’” he says. “It was certainly awkward for both of us. It was truly uneventful.”)

Hamilton went back to his table and the restaurant’s owner, Jodi Larner, a good friend of Armstrong’s, told Hamilton that he could finish his meal but wasn’t welcome back at the restaurant. I was eating dinner at a restaurant next door from Hamilton along with a couple of other Outside editors and sales people and a group of Eddie Bauer athletes. As we walked out we passed Hamilton, who was shaken. And, despite the twittosphere’s hope for more details, that’s pretty much where the story ends: two guys who don’t feel very kindly toward one another ran into each other at a bar. “I was rattled,” Hamilton told me. “I still am.”

Today I rode up Independence Pass with Hamilton and a group of eight riders. Hamilton was gracious and patient with the last rider in our peloton (me), and seemed to be having a good time. He threw snowballs at his friends, cracked jokes and, during one break, played baseball with a stick and a rock. Then he and two other riders posed for a photo. The photographer asked them to say something funny. The men said, "Lance."

New York Times: FBI investigating Armstrong-Hamilton encounter

By VeloNews.com Published Jun 14th 2011 8:00 PM UTC

357 Comments

The FBI wants to review video from a Colorado restaurant where Lance Armstrong and Tyler Hamilton exchanged words on Saturday, the New York Times reported Tuesday.

Jodi Larner, a co-owner of the restaurant Cache Cache in Aspen, told the newspaper in a telephone interview that she spoke to an FBI agent in the morning and was told she would be subpoenaed for the surveillance tape.

It’s not clear if the restaurant’s video will actually show the confrontation between Hamilton and Armstrong, which Hamilton’s attorney reported to federal authorities.

The New York Times, citing “a person briefed on the matter,” said

authorities are probing whether the encounter constitutes witness tampering on Armstrong’s part.

Hamilton, who was one of Armstrong’s teammates on the now-defunct US Postal Service team, is among those who have testified before a grand jury convened to probe doping in cycling, with Armstrong a primary focus.

Last month Hamilton took doping accusations against Armstrong, a seven-time Tour de France winner, to a more public forum with an interview on CBS television’s “60 Minutes”.

Armstrong has denied doping allegations, including those raised by former teammates and self-confessed dope cheats Floyd Landis and Hamilton, who claimed in the CBS report that Armstrong used EPO in preparing for the 2001 Tour de France.

Armstrong has demanded an apology from CBS over the report.

Armstrong has a house in Aspen and eats at Cache Cache frequently according to Larner, who is a friend of the cyclist.

Hamilton was in town for an event sponsored by Outside Magazine, which first reported the two men’s versions of their chance meeting.

Larner told the Times that it was a “non-event”.

Armstrong told Outside Magazine the incident was “certainly awkward for both of us” and “truly uneventful.”

Hamilton attorney Chris Manderson, however, characterized Armstrong as “aggressive”.

“Would you feel threatened if someone said to you, ‘We’re going to destroy you on the witness stand and we’re going to make your life a living hell?’” Manderson said. “Not a lot of shades of gray there.”

A Veinlite EMS can help locate hard-to-find blood vessels. $219

I wish they had these at blood drives then the person who should be a greeter at walmart instead of someone in the medical field might find my vein instead of searching around for it and hit a nerve in the process. :dumb: