Sleep Apnea mouthguards

stealthmonkey

jesus christ, that thing is 800 dollars? my wife keeps on bugging me to get tested because she said she sees me stop breathing all the time at night, but fuck spending the time and money to get tested and then have to shell out another 800 scoobs.

Just so you know Mr preachy C-paps don't help a large percentage of people that get them. I for example have one and it did not help the apena and also woke me up most nights bothering me. The mouth guard helps allot of people I am told so he is still on a path to help himself.

Um, yea they do. :confused:

I just had a guy in a few weeks ago who popped both his lungs from using too much pressure on his CPAP machine. I assure you, they work.

Um, yea they do. :confused:

I just had a guy in a few weeks ago who popped both his lungs from using too much pressure on his CPAP machine. I assure you, they work.

DANG. I would think the mask would lift off your face before popping lungs!!

did he die? Sounds serious.

basically this is a touchy subject for me and i feel very embarrassed asking everyone. Basically in the nut shell the CPAP will fill your air way with O2 and keep it open not giving you the chance to stop breathing.

The mouthguard re positions your jaw to allow the collapsed airway to open. I was reading a study where a person wasnt using anything was at a number 98. the CPAP dropped him to 11, and the mouth guard got him to 18. Which is pretty close.

I just dont want to be that guy dragging around a machine all the time (camping, boating, etc..). I already have a hard enough time dealing with my phobia of having metal surgically put into my body from my knee injury. Let alone being hooked up to a machine each night.

I know its a "disease" and its not like i directly can take it away. But there has to be another way. ..

So the mouth guard, seems to me from stated here, is for people with major overbites?

I supposedly have it, and am a mouth breather. Doc wants me to do the study, i don't think I have it, because I don't have problems sleeping.

Anyhow, I have a major overbite, so this might explain the whole tongue, blocking airway stuff.

basically this is a touchy subject for me and i feel very embarrassed asking everyone. Basically in the nut shell the CPAP will fill your air way with O2 and keep it open not giving you the chance to stop breathing.

The mouthguard re positions your jaw to allow the collapsed airway to open. I was reading a study where a person wasnt using anything was at a number 98. the CPAP dropped him to 11, and the mouth guard got him to 18. Which is pretty close.

I just dont want to be that guy dragging around a machine all the time (camping, boating, etc..). I already have a hard enough time dealing with my phobia of having metal surgically put into my body from my knee injury. Let alone being hooked up to a machine each night.

I know its a "disease" and its not like i directly can take it away. But there has to be another way. ..

Don't take this the wrong way but, grow some balls and take your health seriously. Do you want to die, or do you want to worry about what some douchebag friends are going to say when you take your machine on camping trips? If they make fun of you for it then they're assholes that don't really care about you and don't deserve to be your friend anyway.

Don't take this the wrong way but, grow some balls and take your health seriously. Do you want to die, or do you want to worry about what some douchebag friends are going to say when you take your machine on camping trips? If they make fun of you for it then they're assholes that don't really care about you and don't deserve to be your friend anyway.

True, I am going to have the test for the CPAP done regardless. My next sleep test is almost a month away. I figured i would be proactive. This process takes for ever to get to that point. I am just trying to look at other options.

Just FYI on the cost angle, my insurance COMPLETELY covered the test and that machine. Insurance does not take it lightly.

Must be nice. I was out 3G's for the test and the machine. But it was worth it.

DANG. I would think the mask would lift off your face before popping lungs!!

did he die? Sounds serious.

Nah, he was alright. He was about 3/4 blind, and wasn't even prescribed CPAP in the first place; just liked it. He couldn't see what settings the machine was on and would just dial in some numbers. He ended up popping a couple of blebs (weak spot in the lung) causing a complete pneumo on the right and partial on the left. A chest tube for a couple days fixed him right up.

Wow, that must be an older machine. There isn't a way for me to change the pressure on mine, it was prescribed by the doc. A side effect is that I never worry about my allergies when I sleep, since it is filtered air. :)

Basically in the nut shell the CPAP will fill your air way with O2 and keep it open not giving you the chance to stop breathing.

This is incorrect, as I know it. It DOES NOT provide O2, just room air that is pressurized. You would need a condenser to provide O2, and that is a much larger and louder machine.

Wow, that must be an older machine. There isn't a way for me to change the pressure on mine, it was prescribed by the doc. A side effect is that I never worry about my allergies when I sleep, since it is filtered air. :)

This is incorrect, as I know it. It DOES NOT provide O2, just room air that is pressurized. You would need a condenser to provide O2, and that is a much larger and louder machine.

CPAP- Continuous Positive Airway Pressure.

Keeps the smallest part of your lungs(where gas exchange occurs) open and keeps your upper airway open. Its really not a big deal to wear one. They are so small now that they're 100% portable and when its on provides a nice white noise to fall asleep to.

Benefit greatly out weighs the risk